A14 vs A14B oxygen mask?

AZPhil

Hello Gent's,

As some might know, I am searching for a WW2 A14 oxygen mask to add to my collection. I have found a A14B. Could someone tell me the difference between a A14 and a A14B oxygen mask?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Phil

I didn't know that SgtMaj. USAAF uniforms and flight gear are not my field of expertise . I do have some reference books on the subject, But it is not something I have studied for years .I am putting together a collection of 8th AF uniforms and flight gear to Honor my Uncle Joe. I hope my questions are not to bothersome. I am trying to learn more about the subject.

Thanks For the quick reply

Semper Fi

Phil

SergeantMajorGray

I didn't know that SgtMaj. USAAF uniforms and flight gear are not my field of expertise . I do have some reference books on the subject, But it is not something I have studied for years .I am putting together a collection of 8th AF uniforms and flight gear to Honor my Uncle Joe. I hope my questions are not to bothersome. I am trying to learn more about the subject.

Thanks For the quick reply

Semper Fi

Phil

No problem keep posting questions this section doesn't get as much traffic as it should.

Once again,Thanks SgtMaj. I do have one more question about the A14. I am seeing some being sold that have built in Mic's.

When did these come into use?

SF

Phil

SergeantMajorGray

Once again,Thanks SgtMaj. I do have one more question about the A14. I am seeing some being sold that have built in Mic's.

When did these come into use?

SF

Phil

Not sure but I would say closer to the end of the war.

BlueBookGuy

Hello AZPhil,

suppose you might want to make a realistic collection in WW2 context so, the A-14B would not be correct. Even an A-14A (seldom encountered in the collecting world, I believe) wouldn't be, it was officially standardized in the very last days of January 1945 and it's virtually impossible any specimens of A-14A did reach any 8th Air Force combat units, before VE-Day.

Thus even less the A-14B, having been designed post-WW2 for those cockpits where there wasn't need of the "Pressure Breathing A-13 masK" - so a more modern A-14 variant (the A-14B) could still be OK.

The standard, simply marked A-14 mask is the correct one. Please note that an earlier A-10A mask would be OK as well, if intended for a pre-1944 8th Air Force display.

As for mics, photos of fighter pilots and their A-14s fitted with the correct microphone (usually, a MC-254 placed in its "pocket") do exist being dated as early as August or September 1943.

Greetings - Franco.

• 2 weeks later...

I realise this is a little late Phil , but only just seen this post .

Franco is quite correct ,however the A-10A was issued and used along side the A-14 and issued as substitute standard .

The oxygen manuals of the day state that the A-10A will still be used as functionally it is identical

to the A-14 .

The A-14B in simplest terms has a re-designed Mic pocket .

BlueBookGuy

Yes Nigel is right,

in effect the A-10A was officially adopted in mid-October 1943 so we can suppose it could be seen possibly still in early 1944, as a substitute mask if not sufficient numbers were available of A-14s.