30th Infantry Division FDR SS Patch IDd 117th Inf. Reg.

TCSchultz

TCSchultz

This 30th Division "FDR's SS" patch came as part of an estate grouping along with his CIB and ribbon bars from a member of the Cannon Company, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division who served in Europe with them and came home on the Queen Mary. The interesting feature is the original price tag to the reverse from the Camp Atterbury exchange pricing it at 12 cents! The SS and FDR lettering was most likely added at the PX by a tailor and is period to the patch.

post-17286-0-18087300-1399238135.jpg

post-17286-0-54642000-1399238153.jpg

• 2 months later...

A great 30th ID with the double blue border and added SS & FDR, the price tag is icing on the cake, just a really desirable set from the vet..

WorldWarPatches

FDR's SS were most likely added in theater, The 30th was dubbed by the Germans FDR's SS after kicking the crap out of the 1st SS division 1945. Shortly after some of the guys added it to their patches and HQ found out they were ordered to remove it. Very rare patch. You have a great find.

Garandomatic

THey kicked the crap out of the 1st SS pretty much every time the 1st SS spoiled for a fight. I have a 1st Sgt. that was with them all the way through, but *might* have sat out Mortain due to wounds incurred about a week earlier. About Mortain, you know it's bad when a radio operator at the HQ picks up a bazooka and smokes a German tank while never leading his seat in the HQ tent.

Just a quick question. If the SS was added in theater, why is the Camp Atterbury exchange tag on it? Just asking. Mort

WorldWarPatches

Just a quick question. If the SS was added in theater, why is the Camp Atterbury exchange tag on it? Just asking. Mort

I have had a few off uniform patches that still had stick on PX price tags. The 1st mention of FDR's SS was by Axis Sally in a radio broadcast thinking it would demoralize the unit. Well we all know that didn't happen. Was after that they adopted the nick and that was short lived. I've never seen one still on the uniform and if we ever do it will be a put together.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind comments and I was really lucky to get this patch as it was included with the grouping but not noted in the listing which was helpful to say the least. Sometimes you just find something by looking closely at all of the pictures.

• 2 months later...