Nurses dress and a nurses coat with a combat patch

hardheaded

hardheaded

Posting this dress and jacket and looking for any comments or information anyone would like to add.

The jacket and dress have no names but there is a laundry tag on the jacket with the number 10626 on it. The jacket was tailored by Gotham Uniform Co. 112 W. 44 St. New York. The dress has no mfg. tag but they both have Handy Button Mach Co. buttons on them.

I was wondering how hard it is to find these items and how rare it might be to find a dress or jacket with a combat patch on it?

I eventually plan to offer these items here on the forum and any info would help me and any potential future owner.

Thanks in advance for the help!

hardheaded

Very nice set! interesting on the CBI "combat" patch.

Thanks!

Though the pics do look better than close up. There's the age thing and little spots here and there plus the CBI has a hole in it about the dia. of a pencil.

cutiger83

This is the beige off duty dress. You can see it in more detail on the Blitzkreig website. The one on the website also has the patches on the shoulders so I don't think that it is rare to find one like this. I will look in my reference books tonight but I believe the jacket was meant only for wearing with the skirt not for wearing with the dress. The dress was designed for wearing in warm climates so the jacket would not have been needed.

http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/homepage.htm

...Kat

And while I know very little about Army stuff, I believe the do called "Combat Patch" is a collector term. Were they not actually "Overseas" patches, meaning if you served in a unit overseas you could wear it on the other shoulder if you transfer? Just asking

cutiger83

And while I know very little about Army stuff, I believe the do called "Combat Patch" is a collector term. Were they not actually "Overseas" patches, meaning if you served in a unit overseas you could wear it on the other shoulder if you transfer? Just asking

Good question. I am not 100% sure on the answer to that one. I don't think you have to serve overseas but rather serve in that unit. However, I will wait for others to reply.

However, I am curious about the CBI patch on one shoulder and the 9th Service Command patch on the other. Would the hospitals in the CBI have been under the 9th SVC command? I have been looking but haven't found an answer.

...Kat

I'm thinking she had served in the CBI then was transferred State Side, thus the CBI patch on the right

cutiger83

I'm thinking she had served in the CBI then was transferred State Side, thus the CBI patch on the right

That is what I was thinking too but wasn't 100% sure..... :)

I'm sure I read that somewhere. All my Army reference books are boxed out in the garage someplace, so hopefully one of the "Ever So Rare WW 2 Army types" might be able to help

cutiger83

All my Army reference books are boxed out in the garage someplace,

Where are your Navy reference books? Or is the Navy stuff all in your head? :lol:;)

Why, they are on the shelf behind my chair, on the table next to my chair and my autographed copy of Stacey is in the center of the desk infront of my key board. All books are dusted daily. They are categorized by time era.

Justin B.

However, I am curious about the CBI patch on one shoulder and the 9th Service Command patch on the other. Would the hospitals in the CBI have been under the 9th SVC command? I have been looking but haven't found an answer.

No. The Service Commands were how the continental US was divided for procurement, materiel, logistics and that sort of thing. They were not combat organizations and did not go overseas. That's a good example of basically how the right-arm patch got started in 1945: People were being transferred to stateside, non-combat, different theater etc. units as the army reorganized for demobilization and huge numbers awaited discharge. Understandably they wanted something on the uniform that would show they had done overseas service. So the army authorized them to wear the patch of their overseas unit on the other side.

Nice shirtwaist and jacket, maybe not "rare" but not the kind of thing I've seen a lot.

Justin B.

hardheaded

Thank you all for responding!

Maybe rare was a strong word on my part as to how hard it is to find one of the jackets with the combat patch on it. I was rootin through a closet where I have some jackets etc. stored and decided to search on the net to see what I could find out about the jacket and dress. I found a few on an auction site and didn't find any that had a combat patch on them. I'll do more searching and see what I can come up with.

About my use of the term combat patch, it was a term I/we used when I was in the Army.

Here's a link with some info on the right SSI, combat patch. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/combatpatch.htm

Thanks again for helping out!!!

Nice uniform.I have a group to a nurse that served in the ETO.She wore a ETO patch on the right sleeve and service command on the left.Also one star on her campaign ribbon.I have her discharge.Have yet to get her records.She was from the Rock Island Illinois area.

"combat patch" has been a common Army Term for many years, although the formal designation is "Shoulder sleeve insignia–former wartime service". See AR 670-1 for the applicable regulation.

I would not consider it a "collector term", as it is commonly used by the soldiers themselves.

However, your understanding is a little confused--- the criterion is (and was) not solely service overseas , but overseas in combat--

In this case, I would assume the nurse was assigned to the CBI during the war in some capacity (field hospital or air evacuation???), and then was subsequently assigned to the service command in the CONUS.

Justin B.

However, your understanding is a little confused--- the criterion is (and was) not solely service overseas , but overseas in combat--

For WW2, the requirement was simply to have served overseas, nothing about combat. Here is the relevant order, thanks to member Wailuna who posted it in a thread that seems to have disappeared.

post-1963-1207966547.jpg

Justin B.

"combat patch" has been a common Army Term for many years, although the formal designation is "Shoulder sleeve insignia–former wartime service". See AR 670-1 for the applicable regulation. [/size]

I would not consider it a "collector term", as it is commonly used by the soldiers themselves. [/size]

However, your understanding is a little confused--- the criterion is (and was) not solely service [/size]overseas , but overseas in combat--

In this case, I would assume the nurse was assigned to the CBI during the war in some capacity (field hospital or air evacuation???), and then was subsequently assigned to the service command in the CONUS.

. So, guess I was right "for that time period". I thought I had read that in the WW 2 era, a patch on the right signified service overseas. Ok. I know that NOW it is a combat patch

,and deservedly so. Like I said, Army stuff gets confusing for me, and I "thought " I had read it ( on here it appears). In the Navy, we also have many terms that are not "official", so I get it. Bottom line here, is that this nurse served overseas in the CBI, and then returned to the States and was assigned to the Service Command and wore the CBI patch on her right to show she "Had Been There"""( as I would have SURELY have done also). Any way, "well Done" to this strong young lady who went the extra step.

For WW2, the requirement was simply to have served overseas, nothing about combat. Here is the relevant order, thanks to member Wailuna who posted it in a thread that seems to have disappeared.

post-1963-1207966547.jpg

Justin B.

Thanks for the correction, Justin. Guess that part of it changed before my time, and I was unaware. I know that by the Korean War, the "in combat" restriction was in effect.