WWI division markings

Vertol

Good afternoon,

I'd like to know if there was a rule to identify exactly the unit with the markings on web gear (e.g.: 1st number for the division, 2nd for regiment, letters for companies ...).

For example, can you help me identifying unit of following items, because I'm not sure how to do, except for the 10th Field Hospital ...

I thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Vertol

kqmfk.jpg

2vngj87.jpg

1zm1j7d.jpg

2wh4ar7.jpg

regiment of the symbol shown / company letter / then roster number of the guy (which doesn't; really mean much and is basically untraceable).

RustyCanteen

#1 is the 314th Field Artillery Regiment, assigned to the 155th Artillery Brigade, 80th Infantry Division,

#2 Was this one from eBay a couple months back? I saw one like it advertised as the '15th' Engineers which would be a railway regiment, but it is actually a faded '4' and not a '1' making it the 45th Engineer Regiment. I don't have my list of Engineer regiments handy but the 45th was not assigned to a division (not uncommon in WWI) and I cannot confirm where they served without checking my resources.

#3 you already have identified.

#4 is the 140th MG Battalion of the 39th Division.

RC

solcarlus

Bonjour.

Regarding # 4 I'd rather see the 140th Field Artillery.

45th Eng: railway maintenance of way battalion. Converted into 45th regt T.C. Sept 18 (I have my documentaion on hand ;) )

Always pleasant these stencils.

solcarlus.

RustyCanteen

Hi Solcarlus,

Regarding #4, I also thought it was Artillery at first, but after taking another look at the crossed 'cannons' I decided they looked like watercooled brownings.

RC

solcarlus

Bonjour RC.

I've never seen a cross stencil machine guns. Here different stencils:

Field Artillery:
Machine Gun Battalion:
Machine Gun Company, Infantry Regiment:

post-241-0-77415700-1399270800.jpg

post-241-0-75512500-1399270825.jpg

post-241-0-34816800-1399270854.jpg

Hello,

Thank you all for your information, it's now clearer for me. I though the army division was also mentioned in the markings, but it's a deduction from the number of the regiment.

@solcarlus : I also really like those markings, but the inconvenient is that it's nearly impossible to have an homogeneous uniform, and that sometimes the regiment has never seen the war (such as the one below).

@RustyCanteen : I don't know if the canteen was on Ebay a few months ago ...

Which type of documentation do you use to identify the history of WWI regiments ? WWI orders of battle ?

I've never though about watercooled MG, and I find the idea very interesting. However, just under the marking seems to be artillery crossed canons.

Here's my other marking of artillery, which is different than the 140th one (no difficulty to identify it, someone has already asked on the forum :P).

2vblh0k.jpg

Regards,

Vertol

US Victory Museum

2A.A.P. = 2nd Army Artillery Park.

Fort MacArthur, CA from October to December 1918. (Never reached Europe)

solcarlus

Which type of documentation do you use to identify the history of WWI regiments ? WWI orders of battle ?

Bonjour Vertol.

Among others, for starters:

ORDER THE BATTLE of the UNITED STATES LAND FORCES IN THE WORLD WAR / AMERICAN EXPEDITIONNARY FORCES / DIVISIONS

Yes, it is not easy to find a set with the same stencils, especially with us

sol.

Pour le fun B)

post-241-0-75675700-1399358032.jpg

post-241-0-52340400-1399358196.jpg