Desert Storm Bring Backs - Iraqi Anti-U.S. Leaflets

bryang

I went into western Kuwait during the Desert Storm ground offensive.

I managed to ship quite a lot of Iraqi stuff home (mailing was preferable to dealing with customs). Among some of the more interesting things I found, were a couple leaflets intended to discourage we U.S.-led Coalition members!

post-152877-0-93627700-1399175343.jpg

Great stuff!

Were they ever actually dropped, scattered, spread, or were they something you came across I a depot or something?

Never saw them or heard of them when I was there.

Great stuff!

Were they ever actually dropped, scattered, spread, or were they something you came across I a depot or something?

Never saw them or heard of them when I was there.

I found these in a bunker at Ali Al Salam airfield (east of Kuwait City) when we captured and secured it. I've still got a large trunk full of captured Iraqi stuff: uniforms, berets, helmets, assorted weapons parts and magazines, etc ....

These leaflets are among the more interesting things I picked up!

I also have a number of surrender leaflets that we dropped on the Iraqi troops, which I also picked up on the battle field. I might have to consider having both side's leaflets mounted and framed.

• 1 month later...

There are about a dozen Iraqi propaganda leaflets. I have most of them. They never had control of the air so none were dropped. They were found in bunkers where apparently the Iraqis were supposed to throw them in the air when the wind was blowing in the right direction.

There are about a dozen Iraqi propaganda leaflets. I have most of them. They never had control of the air so none were dropped. They were found in bunkers where apparently the Iraqis were supposed to throw them in the air when the wind was blowing in the right direction.

The best and most sophisticated Iraqi Air Force aircraft were flown to Iran for safe keeping. At the end of hostilities, the Iranians pretty much told Iraq "thanks for the planes ... we'll be keeping these"

As amusing as these leaflets are, the daily propaganda radio broadcasts from Iraq's "Voice of Peace" were a riot! I have a cassette recording put up of some of it. There would be a few melodies of Arab music, then a ladies voice ("Baghdad Betty") always starting with: "To the American Soldiers serving in the Arabian desert"

declaring how "Iraqi soldiers were the most brave in the world," and to "ask your friends who remember what happened in the Vietnam," etc ...

Every so often there were "special reports" on secret documents obtained chronicling reports of incidents of homosexuality in American field units, as well as on morale problems the U.S. troop are facing.

It was a riot to listen to!

The best and most sophisticated Iraqi Air Force aircraft were flown to Iran for safe keeping. At the end of hostilities, the Iranians pretty much told Iraq "thanks for the planes ... we'll be keeping these"

As amusing as these leaflets are, the daily propaganda radio broadcasts from Iraq's "Voice of Peace" were a riot! I have a cassette recording put up of some of it. There would be a few melodies of Arab music, then a ladies voice ("Baghdad Betty") always starting with: "To the American Soldiers serving in the Arabian desert"

declaring how "Iraqi soldiers were the most brave in the world," and to "ask your friends who remember what happened in the Vietnam," etc ...

Every so often there were "special reports" on secret documents obtained chronicling reports of incidents of homosexuality in American field units, as well as on morale problems the U.S. troop are facing.

It was a riot to listen to!

Yeah, watch out for Tom Cruise and Bart Simpson. They are having sex with your wife! Getting back to those Iraqi leaflets, they have been greatly counterfeited so you have to be sure for instance that the two you show are on a waxed paper. The fakes are generally on regular paper.