3rd Army vet bring-backs

mvmhm

A few weeks ago, a man stopped in asking for help with his Grandfathers military service record, which I resolved. Then he mentioned not having his Dad's records or medals...no sweatie-da, took care of that. He's also missing his own paperwork ..which I also took care of. He invited me out to his house later on, and gave me his Dad's last WWII uniform...a completely bare/nearly unissued Ike and pants. I brought him a box of old license plates for his collection (he also has 27 classic cars). He said his Dad was issued a new uniform when he was discharged, but was in such a hurry to get home he didn't bother to have anything sewn on it (and there's no ghosts in the lining either and it's dated 1945). He also pulled out a box loaded with patches he collected as a kid along with some German things his Dad brought back. At that time, he asked me if there were any I could use, and I picked out 4 patches. When it was time to go, he put everything back in the box and said he'd keep me in mind. Again, no problem.

Today he came out and I took pictures of everything...

The blank block is where I cropped his business card info out.

post-3423-0-67789000-1399151791.jpg

post-3423-0-53114900-1399151798.jpg

easterneagle87

saw the KC in the last posting. Saw the BIG loop..WOW, that is an awesome find!!

No makers mark on the Knight's Cross (although it's pretty tarnished, there might be something there), but the loop is big and the ends are rounded not clipped, and the swastika's height is level with the frame.

Mark sends

No he wrote notes about what it was...for some reason he thinks the 4-medal bar is worth big boy bucks.

Mark sends

Interesting to see that (US) 23d Infantry Regiment DI in the mix...on the 4 medal mount. Was the donor's father in the 2d Infantry Division?

Steve

He only said his dad was in the 3rd Army - he stuck the DUI on the bar because it has an "Iron Cross" in the corner so he thought it was German too.

Mark sends

Interesting twist. Given the risk of taking info from Wiki at face value, it appears that the 2d Division was assigned to 3d Army in May 1945, and had been as well in late August/early Sept 1944. It's somewhat of a stretch, but a logical conclusion that the vet was a 2d Division guy, PARTICULARLY if the DUI is a pinback, rather than clutchback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Infantry_Division_%28United_States%29#Assignments_in_the_European_Theater_of_Operations

At any rate, neat set of German insignia, thanks for sharing!

Steve