headphone sets

all1knew

Hello all,

I would like to get the potential ages of these, are they both WW2 era? Is one set better than the other for any reason?

William Kramer

post-83697-0-79059500-1399131973.jpg

The set with the HB7 leather headbands was used in WW2 well into the 50s. I would say your example is a post-war set up due to the M301 "donut" cushions which were commonly used by the USAF. During WW2, most cushions were either sponge-foam or black rubber. I'm not familiar with the other set up, but I would think it too is post-war.

Thanks to all for the help so far, so the WW2 Navy set is the red or the black plug?

William Kramer

Hi.

The other headset are Navy type. What is contract number at metal band over the cable? N383 or N288?

The headset have a boom mic bracket soo I guess they are post WW2.

The first headset could be still WW2. Ian the cups looks like NAF model used in WW2 also with HB7 leather headband AAF headset in late war.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

Do you have any info on these types being used in WW2. I am very interested to find and answer as I have a pair of these. This was a thread on this site that was kind of left unanswered and I would love to hear more about the subject.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/203213-ww2-headset-ear-cushions-question/

Semper Fi

Phil

HI Phill.

The cups from IAN post marked a M301 are different thant this one from here and crew member photos - NAF marked. Look at curved shape in the middle of the earcups. I dont know about M301 earcups but this one NAF marked were used in WW2!

Cheers,

Jerry

501stGeronimo

I agree, i have a set of the donut that came straight from a shot down b24 pilot, only flew in ww2.

Thanks for the reply. My set has the pads marked NAF48490-1 and my jack is marked PL354.

I just wanted to have a correct display.

Thanks Once Again

Semper Fi

Phil

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have read the A-11 and the AN-H-15 flight helmets were/became donor ear cushions for headsets..ie the black rubber ear cushion was removed and used on a HS-33 ...the above pic looks like an example of this...note the black rubber does not wrap around the cushion like the production earcups on the OP..production cups, the rubber wraps about halfway around the cushion

• 6 years later...