Snow Flakes Storm

robert60446

robert60446

Maybe it is 86 degrees outside today, but it is still snowing Amcraft in my house…I was lucky to find this Air Crew badge today in my mailbox…I don’t know why, but I think I’m addicted to Amcarft Snow Flake pattern products… :lol:

post-2829-1212451938.jpg

John Cooper

That is an odd looking bird... almost looks like someone took a pre-ww2 observer and altered it to make an AC wing. The eagle looks copper and there seems to be hollow space behind it. Did you get any back story on this one?

John

robert60446

Hi John,

Hardware is a drop dead match to other Amcraft’s in my collection, but I see your point about copper. I have 2 theories on this. Sterling silver is with mixture of cooper in order to reinforce silver – otherwise piece would be to soft. These wings have seen some action and amount of wear on the front is big enough to expose some guts…The other theory is: wings were made from copper and were silverplated… think.gif

robert60446

Here is more detailed picture of left wing – more copper / bronze traces in highly exposed to wear out areas…

Ps. no story on this badge…but honestly if award is not directly from the vet, I don’t pay too much attention to stories, because dealers usually have fabulous imagination…

post-2829-1212490277.jpg

robert60446

And here is left wing from Amcraft pilot – again exposed bronze – more and more I think Amcraft was only silver-plating their badges…

post-2829-1212495306.jpg

And here is left wing from Amcraft pilot – again exposed bronze – more and more I think Amcraft was only silver-plating their badges…

Sure looks like it. Thats for sure.

John Cooper

Robert,

Not sure if only AMCRAFT did the plating... I think pre-war they were able to get better strikes out of metals other than sterling and once the war started they had to switch for several reasons.

As far as this being a 100% AMCRAFT wing I am not sure as stated above. I think someone had a jeweler take the wing and make an AC wing that was authorized but maybe not available at the time.

Other than that I am certain this is of the WW2 period.

John

PS is you addiction growing? Navy wings, Obeserver Wings, and now AC wings ;)

robert60446
PS is you addiction growing? Navy wings, Obeserver Wings, and now AC wings ;)

John, try to guess who is guilty of this... B)

John Cooper

I will take credit for that! One day I hope to see you posting your 30+ variations of Navigator wings!

robert60446
I will take credit for that! One day I hope to see you posting your 30+ variations of Navigator wings!

Working hard to accomplish this mission John, but as you know it is harder and harder to find good stuff these days... oh well, even if I have to wait another 34 years for this moment, it is all about fun for me. I’m really enjoying collecting US items and this makes me very happy person… thumbsup.gif

John Cooper
Working hard to accomplish this mission John, but as you know it is harder and harder to find good stuff these days... oh well, even if I have to wait another 34 years for this moment, it is all about fun for me. I’m really enjoying collecting US items and this makes me very happy person… thumbsup.gif

Robert - you know USAAF uniforms are nice as well... there have been some nice things posted here by many members. PM me if you ever consider picking some up a frined of mine have loads of experience and will prove to be a great resource I think.

John

John Cooper

Robert,

I was taking to a friend of mine who is very knowlegable with wings and things. He is in agreement with me and this being an altered observer. The other thing he mentioned which I did not know is that copper was used to provide a better base for rhodium plating. Whomever the owner was he spent some money getting this made.

John

robert60446

John, I will try to take better pictures of seal today from different angles to see if we can uncover more on this... thumbsup.gif

Hi guys,

This isn't the first one of these I have seen, I do believe it's "all Amcraft" and the Observer is the base for LOTS of others as we all know.

And Robert, uniforms too, we might have to talk.... naughty.gif I might have a few........ Or John.......

Paul