Grandpa's posthumous war souvenirs surprise

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I got a call this week with a story similar to one I've heard more than once in the last few years:

"Grandpa/dad/my husband passed away and we found a box full of Nazi stuff we never knew he had from World War II."

This was actually in two trunks along with the veteran's 8th Infantry Division uniform: sadly the insects really ate it up over the decades this was all hidden away in a corner of the garage. The insects (silverfish I assume) also dug into the TR caps he brought home (all of which have missing or damaged visors and other problems). Before the family called me they did determine that a German helmet cover he brought home could be listed on ebay because it had no swastika on it. They got $1,450 for that !

I picked up the rest from them today and the more I look at these ravaged caps, the more I wonder "Why?"

There was a K98 bayonet and one of those short Japanese samurai-type swords called a wakizashi. How that got into the batch is beyond me, but there is a color photo of a WWII-era Marine in with some documents so he may be a relative who brought that home.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Bob Hudson

Those white pieces are a stack of a dozen of the emblems that were sewn on to sport shirts: never used apparently.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Bob Hudson

I suspect there are still lot of war trophy stashes still hidden away in garages, attics and basements and I'm sure a lot of widows have taken great pains to put such items in the trash without anyone else finding out about it. :)

vintageproductions

Great stuff Bob. Would love to have seen the camo cover in with this stuff.

Bob Hudson

Great stuff Bob. Would love to have seen the camo cover in with this stuff.

Here it is from their ebay listing

helmcover.jpg

Bob Hudson

The stuff I got - the caps at least - are in pretty poor condition. Anyone know of a good visor repair person?

USCapturephotos

Bob. I do. Let me get back to you as I have to look up his name and number. He's not cheap but uses all original threads, parts, etc and several high level German head gear collectors have recommended him.

Paul

That bullion Army visor is still pretty groovy! I assume the green hat(s) with just the cockade are Imperial or Reichswehr?

Mark sends

Bob Hudson

That bullion Army visor is still pretty groovy! I assume the green hat(s) with just the cockade are Imperial or Reichswehr?

Mark sends

They seem similar to rural police - gendarmerie - hats but do seem to be earlier, pre-WWII.

USCapturephotos

Hey Bob. Still enjoying this great find of yours. Am going to pm you now with the email of the fellow who restores peaked caps. I have heard nothing but good things about his work.

Paul

Rakkasan187

Bob,

Those are some really nice pieces. I am glad you were able to obtain them.. Best of luck restoring the hats, I am sure that once restored they will look great. They look pretty good now..

Thanks for sharing

Leigh

Bob Hudson

Nice Heer splinter cover. Decent find Bob,Kurt

sadly his grandson sold that before he called me....

R Michael

Bob, I see the hadle is missng from the wakizashi but what does the blade look like? Great pickups!

I have a single sided camo cover.It's over a M40 army helmet.A friend got it from the vet.Niether of us removed the cover.Was the sold cover reversible? Some were white on the other side.the infantry visor looks fairly decent.

Bob Hudson

Mark sends

The visor on the Army cap is loosely basted on - it actually belongs to the DAF cap (which itself has an NSKOV insignia on it). The two green caps are pre-1938 Customs (Zoll) caps. The grandson knew nothing about these things until he pulled the trunk out of a corner of a garage recently, so perhaps his father's generation played with these when they were kids.