ww1 usmc haversack?

Multicam

Steve1987

Hello,

That auction was for a USMC haversack complete with meatcan pouch and pack carrier.

Typically USMC M1910/M1915 Haversacks in average condition are around $100, more if they are marked with the USMC stamp. Sometimes they come with the meatcan pouch, but seldom have the pack carrier.

The auction brought a lot of money because the pack set appears complete and unissued.

More info here:

http://www.aef-doughboys.com/usmchaversack.html

I would also suggest buying Alec's book 'Equipping the Corps' that has the most up to date information on these packs.

Regards,

-Steve

US Victory Museum

Unfortunately, the buyer got hosed.

The pack tail is the Army type. The proper USMC type would have had two rows of slits for the leather portion to pass through.

The pack looks nice, but not worth the selling price "as is".

Msn

post-1529-0-70358000-1399045772.jpg

Steve1987

The pack, pack tail, and meat can pouch all look textbook USMC to me.

The pack tail still has the 'USMC' stamp on it as well if you look in the other photos.

The pack straps also have the USMC square ends.

In my opinion, from what I can see, it's a legitimate USMC pack and pack tail.

-Steve

US Victory Museum

I have a couple of P1915 USMC haversacks; however, I make no claim to be an expert. If this is a correct variation of pack tail, then I shall have

learned something new. Both my haversack pack tails are devoid of ANY marks (i.e US, USMC, or stamped name). One is a deep green color,

the other is khaki, and both have two rows of slits for the leather.

Please keep in mind the the presense of the square tab does not necessarily corolate with USMC gear. Early c 1912-1915 shovel carriers, axe

carriers, and mattox carriers also have this feature. I consider there to be 3 "patterns" of pack tail: The first is the rare dog-ear; this one appears

to me to be a second pattern c. 1915 early with the square tabs, and the final is the ubiquitous WWI type with round tabs and a slightly different

construction.

I took a second look at the auction photos and do indeed see in photo #4 the light markings on the pack tail, which I did not notice the

first time; nevertheless, with "USMC" marks appearing stamped all over crap on ebay where it does not belong, I am still suspicious regardless

of how light it appears.

P.S.

Over the past couple of years, I have seen and acquired 6 of these unmarked square tab type pack carriers - most olive, one closer to

khaki - whenever I come across them on Ebay. I have been stashing them for use whenever Punitive Expedition era haversacks appear

on Ebay (i.e. Green RIA 1915 dated ) as most turn up without tails or meat can pouches. None of the ones I bought were ever sold for

more than $35.00. I would have expected USMC pack tails to create a mini feeding frenzy.

If I were bidding, I'd have been more comfortable seeing the two rows of slits for that price.

Msn

Jeez, "multicam", aka "Jackconaway", aka "kerstens", aka etc., etc. is like a zombie. Just can't kill him!!

As to the subject of this thread, I would like to point out that there is an additional way to ID a Marine Corps manufactured pack carrier besides the number of rows of coupling strap slots, or square tips on the straps, or a "U.S.M.C." ink stamp. Unfortunately, the auction pictures in this case do not show the necessary feature.

On Marine Corps manufactured pack carriers, the leather coupling strap is secured to the web tape that holds it to the carrier by having the tape wrapped completely around the leather strap and then having the tape sewn to and completely through the leather. On Army type pack carriers, the web tape passes through a slot cut in the leather strap. No stitching actually passes into and through the leather.

I should also point out that, in my experience, Marine pack carriers have either ONE or THREE rows of slots sewn into the carrier to accept the coupling strap. I have never seen a Marine carrier with only two rows.

There is usually no way to determine if the meat can pouch is Marine-made unless it is one of the rare ones with a "U.S.M.C." ink stamp on the back, or, in the case of later manufactured pouches, it has a Depot stamp inside the flap, or, of course, it has a Marine name stamp on it somewhere. Sometimes, the color of thread used in manufacture can be a "tell".

I do not have a digital camera, so I can't show any pics to support my statements, but I may be able to post some scans for verification down the road. I can only say that I have studied this particular gear intently, and I am not just blowing smoke.

By the way, I feel that the set on eBay was legitimate (with the caveat about the meat can pouch identification), but there were some condition issues that the seller accidentally, or NOT, hid by taking his auction pics in bright sunlight. I had intended to bid on this listing myself, until the price went unjustifiably (IMO) through the roof! This set was NOT a bargain for the buyer, but then, it was his money to spend....

Hope my contribution proves useful.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

'Flage Guy

I scored one of these M1912 M.C. Pack rigs from Jeff Shrader years ago. It is identical to the one on Ebay, right down to the Army-style Pack Carrier. The difference is that all 3 components feature the faded "U.S.M.C." block letter stamp (my rig is not as nice as the one in the link :dry:). This set was outstanding, and my congrats to the winner.

'Flage Guy

Sorry, should've posted a pic in the last post.

Here's the Pack Carrier with the single row of attachment slits. According to Jeff, these predated

the ones with 3 rows of them, which was quite an improvement...

post-3226-0-05607400-1399079609.jpg

Steve1987

Bonjour.

No opinion on the three eyelets B)

solcarlus

Hello solcarlus,

The third eyelet is briefly discussed in Alec's book 'Equipping the Corps'.

It's a standard feature on these packs but for now remains somewhat mysterious.

Regards,

-Steve

Bonjour Steve.

One more mystery ... ;)

sol.

Hello Sol,

be patient, my friend, some day we'll find the explanation ;)

Cheers, E

Mitter2k1

Hi Etienne.

Patience is one of the virtues of the collector ;) 

Cordialement Sol.

Except when there is something coming in the mail.

usmchistorian

The mystery of the this hole is just that…a mystery. It is believed that USMC haversacks with the third hole however are post WWI.

solcarlus

Bonjour.

@ Mitter2k1:

In this case, it is the frenzy :D

@usmchistorian:

This is what is said. :huh:

sol.

'Flage Guy

Gentlemen, I have 3 M1912 M.C. Pack rigs; the early one like the one in the auction has 3 eyelets, a later pea-green one with 3 eyelets, and another later mustard-O.D. one with 2 eyelets.

Just thought I'd throw that in to make things more mysterious :wacko: I wish I knew....