New diorama.....

Pmuranyi

It might have been a killer but worth every second. The water and everything else looks great.Amazing!

Dick

Just read one of the comments. The sub is Bronco's 1/35 Type XXIII coastal submarine. Massive scale for a sub. I hope they make US stuff but in 1/35 the models may be 85 feet long......

Ciao

Paul

The Meatcan

fantastic work Paul! You consistently have the absolute most ambitious dios I've ever seen :lol:

Keep on building!

Terry

Thanks guys! I am trying to break the mold a little on the dios. Just what have I not seen 1000 times before. Its hard work. A 100 times ruined before it ends up finished and lookng ok. It I dont push the envelope what is the point. Thanks for all the words that all of you have given me, it pushes me further into the unknown. I hope the results are pleasing and new.

Paul

RustyCanteen

I love it! The detail and variety is astounding.

Thank you for sharing this, it really is nice to look at and just take in all the detail.

RC

strawberry 9

Amazing! I never get tired of this stuff. We have some real talent on this forum. I love the oil slick...how did you do it?

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

love the counter balanced mix of us and german items, the flotsom in the water is perfect. (this would have taken me 10 years to get made,lol!)

Jeeper704

Amazing details.

Every time you look, you discover new details, from the oil slick to the mines, to the pose of the figures.

I wish I was that talented (knowing myself a bit, I probably end up glueing myself to the table :lol:).

Erwin

HI! Erwin I did glue the uboat to my arm. I lifted my right arm and voila there was a flippin sub stuck to it. It fell off quick and yes it hurt, but did not damage the sub. Ill write out why this dio almost killed me at a later date. End result is good but wow this is a one off.

Ciao!

Paul

Jeeper704

Hi Paul. Well I'm glad to hear the submarine was ok ....... and you as well. ;)

The setting could be the "clean up after the fighting is over".

Erwin

Backtheattack

Great work! Thank you for showing. With every look at the pics I noticed more details.

Proud Kraut

Late or post war by a few months. Somewhere in there.

Paul

Probably this scene takes place somewhere in the Bremen/Wesermünde area in 1945, when U.S. Forces took over control over some German harbors from the British forces (birth of the Bremen Enclave).

P.S.: Can't get enough of regarding these pics!

Hi Ho! Sorry i did not leave an earlier post but here we go.....

The models.

The sub is the Broncos huge 1/35 sub. It is an easy build but I had to cut the massive kit in two. It took a while to figure out where to make the water line. Subs have different depths to surface. If thats the way to say it. I did not have a great cutting tool to make said cut. Dremel with an old blade that melted the plastic more so than cut the plastic. So, when I laid it down on the diorama base, the bottom of sub was really unlevel and uneven. I sanded, cursed and got it looing ok but not great. I used MEGA epoxy to glue it down and sort of spot welded it every few inches from front to back. Whew... Not fun but I had to correct my poor cutting skills.

The barge is Velindens. Easy build and not much to say about it. Nice though. Added some action to the dio and filled out the water section a little.

The tug boat was very easy to build but painting was a little tricky. Beautiful kit. First time I "Rigged" a sailing vessel.

The row boat was a last minute thought. Verlinden as well.

The dock is Italeri. I bought the sub and then saw the dock and said ok now were talking a big dio. Weathering it was hard work. I made it darker than most others I saw on the net. I did so to make the dock look used up and neglected.

I changed the set up quite a few times on this one when it came to the vehicles on the dock. First model I built was the WC63 from skybow. Killer kit. Just a great model. I picked it because it didnt pan out to well with the troops and was used for rear action duties. Good for finding subs in the late war..... :)

Next on deck was that &^%(&^(&^ kit from ICM. The Opel kapitan staff car. Wow was that a little horror. Upside down directions and terrible fit problems. I got it done but it was one of the most difficult kits I ever put together. It was going to be put in dio or drop kicked out window. Cooler heads prevailed and it was completed.

Neeeeeext............

The German caro truck was hard kit to put together but fun. Not much to report on that one.

I wanted to accent the flak barge so I thought putting a flat bed train on the rails on the dock would be good. After many kits were plopped on the top on the train bed, the sd.kfz 251 drilling looked good. I used a PE set for the cargo doors on the 251. Other than that right out of the box. It looked a little lonely after the build so I added lots of gear on the back of the vehicle and bed.

The mines are little gems I tell you! Just came out from AFV and will add so much to any dio you may come up with. Easy build and you get four of them per box. Just a happy little kit( I tell you.......).

The crane once again verlindens. Can you tell I like Verlindens stuff?????? The cargo boxes are good old tank work shops.

At this point I looked at dio and it needed one more vehicle but it was hard to figure out which to put in. Long story short the M8 armored car won out. Great kit. Fast and easy build.

The figures are mostly..........................Can anyone guess???

VERLINDENS!!!!!!!!!!! I think some Alpine figures as well. Warriors too. The problem is that each company has a different idea of what 1/35 should be. Verlindens are huge compared to the other but I spread them out so the varying sizes would blend into the dio.

Painting was the norm. Base coat, many different washes in oil, then tons of dry brushing.

I think thats it.

Next adventure is the south seas! Many ships to build. Tanks too! Thanks for all the really nice comments!

Ciao for now

Paul

How long did you work in this diorama?

And don't worry about different heights of the figures ..... in real life you had small and tall soldiers too. ;)

Again: a super job with this one!

I keep looking at it. :love:

Erwin

Holy crap Paul, that's awesome!

I thought the last dio was going to hard to beat and there you go with this one. Wow

Erwin........

I think it was about a 6 month project. Maybe about 400 or so hours put into the dio. The cost was steep. I am trying to figure out how to put these dio's in a gallery.

Here's a question for the forum.......

"Are models and dioramas considered art"? Fine art? Historical pieces? I think about this often.

What is your opinion??

Ciao

Paul

• 2 months later...