Carbine & Pistol Magazine Pouches (Twin Pocket)

bilko1

Well, from what I've seen on my second search shows a heavy use of an ammo pouch on the stock. I've only seen the multiple two pocket pouches being used. Even though I have saved a lot of pictures showing carbines with 30rd mags, either the field gear of the soldier using it is obscured or not visible at all.

kyle

This isn't to say the modified 2 cells weren't used, but I have no evidence that they ever were seen in Korea. Maybe early Vietnam but I've hardly scratched the surface there.

I'm no expert on carbine pouch variants, but I'm not sure whether those modified pouches were modified and used by US troops or if the modification was performed by the Koreans. IIRC, they seemed to hit the surplus market in the late 80s. At the same time, a lot of other GI gear used by ROK hit the market as well (this was also as the beginning of all the Garands and carbines being imported by Blue Sky and others.) I specifically remember M1945 cargo packs, M1961 butt packs, and M1941 USMC combat packs (in canvas and nylon). While they were all original GI stuff, most had names, unit designation, etc., either painted or written on in Korean. I remember seeing some of the modified carbine pouches where the stamped Korean characters were very legible (these markings were ink stamped on the outside of each mag pocket), and some had names, unit markings, etc., written on the flap "extension".

I can't say for sure whether or not the pouches were modified by us, then given to the Koreans just like so many other items, but I'd always been under the impression that they were a Korean improvisation...seems like the combination of the "official" 4x 30-round magazine pouch and the expedient use of the 3-pocket grenade pouch would have filled the niche easier than modifying the 15-round pouches. Regardless of the modification which destroyed an otherwise nice carbine pouch, the fact remains that they are still an interesting variant for anybody interested in carbine stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

What we have here is an example of the magazine pouch for the M2 Carbine's curved, 30 round magazines. This example is dated 1950. It's faded from use but would have been OD#7 when originally issued. Its interior is compartmentalised and its capacity would be approximately 6 magazines. It has a single drainage eyelet at the bottom and externally a pair of eyelets which would accept an equipment hanger. Belt attachment was via a pair of webbing loops.

post-8022-1269539190.jpg post-8022-1269539207.jpg

Sabrejet

These pouches hold 4 mags, sometimes if they are stretched out. The two mint pouches I have will only hold two mags and allow the flap to secure closed.

kyle

These pouches hold 4 mags, sometimes if they are stretched out. The two mint pouches I have will only hold two mags and allow the flap to secure closed.

kyle

Thanks for clearing that up Carbinekid. I just have the one 30 round magazine so estimated the capacity. That said, the pocket is used and therefore quite "soft" and flexible compared to stiffer, newer examples, so I'd maybe be able to squeeze an extra one in?!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
Has anyone ever come across a US made 1944 dated Carbine (stock-with press stud) Pouch?

It seems they were all made in 1943 and I only saw one Rifle or Carbine pouch dated 1943, all others were 1944.

Here's one made in 1948:

carbinepouches3.jpg

carbinepouches4.jpg

Rob

• 1 year later...
Captainofthe7th

I just stumbled on this topic running searches on redyed web gear. I think this pouch is dyed during the Korean War to match 'honor guard' style pistol belts. It appears to be the same shade as this belt that I have:

GEDC0717.jpg

Here is my Uncle wearing it in Korea, about 1952 or 53. This is definitely some sort of garrison, guard, or honor guard duty with the white helmet liner and ascot, as well as the fancy belt.

47.jpg

Of course there's no guarantee this is what the pouch was redyed for, but the shade is such a striking resemblance. Notice he is wearing a OD3 pointy flap 1924 first aid pouch.

Rob

• 2 months later...

Here is mine. Two 30 round magazines and four 10 round stripper clips. They fit like a glove. S. Froehlich Co. 1951. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-01700700-1375736266.jpg

RustyCanteen

Nice post Craig!

I'm adding part of our listing of WWII manufacturers for carbine pouches from the list in the Reference Section we're working on, it's not complete but should be a decent list:

CARBINE AMMO POUCHES

A.G. - 1944 (BRITISH MADE)

A-G CORP. 1944

AIRTRESS MIDLAND 1944

ARNOLD MFG. CO. 1944

APPLETON AWNING SHOP 1943

AVERY 1944

BOYT -44- (USMC)

BOYT -45- (USMC)

D.M. SHOE CO. 1943

GEORGE S. RUMLEY CO. 1944

HAMLIN CANVAS GOODS CO. 1943

HEPBURN MFG. CO. 1943

J.S.&S. CO. 1943

J.Q.M.D. 1943

LAIRD SCHOBER 1943

MIDWEST DUCK & CANVAS CO. 1942

PITTSBURGH GARTER CO, 1944

S. FROEHLICH 1943

S.F. CO. INC. 1943 (USMC)

• 4 years later...

Pardon me bring up this older thread..been learning lots!! Much respect to our late members as well!!

One thing I noticed was the color of this gear:

post-5-1169760671.jpg

Is STRIKINGLY close to the current Coyote color used by the USMC. Have to wonder if any historical significance was thought of when the Corps went to the coyote gear. (which, while called brown or tan, seems to have a greenish tinge to it..)

• 4 years later...
On 3/4/2010 at 12:13 AM, kphfun said:

A old guy that I know served as a F.O. in Korea and told me he used both the 30 round mags and 15 round mags, he carried his 30 round mags in the top pocket of the 3 pocket grenade pouch. When he told me this the first thing I did when I got home was to see if that worked and they fit like a glove. :thumbsup:

Necroposting and quoting  banned guy....I'm getting a twofer here. 🙂  I was just a high school kid when I first watched Pork Chop Hill.  There is a scene in it where correspondent takes his 30 rn carbine mags out of the 3 pocket grenade pouch.  As a kid, I thought it was actually a carbine magazine pouch.😆  It wasn't until I went to buy one at the Army Navy store that I found out it was a grenade pouch.

Those 3-pocket grenade pouches were used at times to hold 30rd M1/M2 Carbine magazines. There is also a WWII 2-pocket grenade pouch.