WWII USMC JUNGLE FIRST AID POUCH?

oldabewla

I'm posting what I think is a WWII USMC jungle first aid pouch? I been told it might be for air crew? The pistol belt hooks are bent in the same fashion as the WWII Marine canteen covers hooks and other gear is done, the pouch has the two strap in back also to go over the belt or cartridge belt and the snaps are marked United Carr on the back.

Any thoughts?

Craig

post-7997-0-22792300-1398826509.jpg

Craig

This is for aviators and contained the two flasks with survival contents.I believe there were both army and navy use depending on the contents.

The kits were called E-17s if I recall.

Thanks Ron,

Looks real close to the first aid jungle pouch. i'm sure they model it after one or the other

Craig

Could be.They were just the same size pretty much as the plastic inserts.

THe one I have also has a mirror in it and two silk/rayon maps of the pacifc area or South china sea.

Ah ! another out dated thread of mine Doyler. Again I used publications that have been found to be not entirely correct. The progression is correct but the some of the nomenclature is not. Basically it lies within the E-3 sequence. For the E-17 there are two more variations of regarding the flasks and components than what is pictured there.

The pouch pictured here is for the E-17 Sustenance Kit and not USMC. Just because something has the belt hook that is more recognized as being on USMC equipment does not make everything with it USMC.

Case in point, this the AAC 18" machete with plastic scabbard with AAC cartouche stamped in the face. These all have the "USMC" style belt hook.......does that make this machete now USMC?

post-56-0-60356200-1398873440.jpgpost-56-0-08335500-1398873448.jpg

That was a good guess with the relation to the M-2 jungle kit pouch, it actually was based off the M-2. In the development process for the E-17 the Material Command used the M-2 as a model slightly modified of course, utilizing units of the E-3 series. So the E-17 case is a cousin of the M-2.

Most people are led to believe that this particular case is USMC for obvious reasons but the fact is it is just coincidence. This case was part of the contracts in 1945 and due to a shortage of the specified material from authorized suppliers the contractors had to secure materials from another source, a source that just happened to be making USMC equipment.

Dustin

thanks again for coming to our rescue. Always great information you can provide especially with the survival items. Take care

I'M also glad you addressed the rear hook issue. Too often times people will pigeonhole items into a category because of a certain design aspect or usage of a certain item by one particular branch where as is the case off the hook on the scabbard and pouch it could be found on various items equipment and not just specific to one branch or unit.