Arab-American veterans hat

mvmhm

I got this on eBay for a mere 99 cents today. The Nicholas G. Beram Veterans Association was formed in 1946 by Syrian-American WWII Vets...it started with 25 people and has approx. 250 now. They award scholarships and I found a copy of one of the award programs on line that has information about Private Beram, which says he was Killed In Action in 1943. BUT - I can't find any records of him at NARA, the National WWII Memorial, Ancestry, etc. Not sure why that is.

The hat is dark blue and has a metallic gold piping, nothing like the type you normally see on a VFW or Legion hat. Note the emblem incorporates the Syrian and an Iraqi (?) flag.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-73710800-1398804201.jpg

post-3423-0-23334700-1398804208.jpg

post-3423-0-79471900-1398804214.jpg

post-3423-0-70665300-1398804224.jpg

Their website is hosted by a church - St John of Damascus I think...there's minimal info there...they award scholarships to Arab-American students..and you have to be an Arab-American veteran to join...that's pretty much all that's there. The most puzzling thing is that Private Beram isn't listed as a casualty anywhere...not even at NARA.

Mark sends

The two flags are Syria and Lebanon.

Right...not sure why I typed Iraq...the flag with the tree is Syria....

Mark sends

Looks like it a Christian Arab association. I see the flags of Syria, Lebanon both current and ancient but can't ID the flag in the lower left quarter. The one with the scimitar and the pyramid.