Two AAF Blouses- Lead Crew Pilot & Bombardier

Allan H.

I've had both of these cut down four pocket blouses for a long time and have never photographed them in their entirety. Today, I decided it was time to get some uniforms out of the closet and shoot some photos. three of four years ago, I posted a photo of the lead crew patch and the interesting combat crew backing, but here is the "whole shooting match."

This pilot's Ike jacket was picked up at a yard sale many, many years ago. The pilot has to have been one heck of a pilot and undeniably a brave man. The pilot earned a Silver Star, two Distinguished Flying Crosses and at least eight Air Medals. The ribbons are English made and are sewn to brass mounting bars. The 8th AF patch is English made, machine embroidered on felt and then enhanced with some gold bullion "tress" sewn around the border. There is matching bullion tress sewn around the combat crew wing background. The wing is a classic, US made pilot wing made by Fox. It is clutch back.

post-151-0-14155200-1398720083.jpg

post-151-0-75314600-1398720097.jpg

post-151-0-87670800-1398720112.jpg

Even the Distinguished Unit Citation is British made. The overseas bars are stamped metal and crimped to the cuff.

One of the most interesting things to me about the jacket is that the Captain's bars are also English made. Unfortunately, they are a mismatched pair, but there has to be a story to this. Inside one of the pockets is the mate to one of the bars. It is marked "H & Co" and the pin is broken just short of being able to fit under the retaining catch. The pilot obviously broke the pin at some point, put the broken bars in his pocket and pinned another set of railroad tracks on to replace it. I have thought many times over the years about replacing the broken pin with a replacement and putting the mate back on the jacket, but since the jacket has been this way for such a long time, I just haven't been able to do it.

I hope you like this one. I sure do!

Allan

post-151-0-92984600-1398720432.jpg

post-151-0-17726200-1398720442.jpg

post-151-0-22891900-1398720644.jpg

Now for the bombardier. This one has also been a "keeper" forever. Again, we're looking at a cut-down officer's 4 pocket blouse, tailored into the classic English Battledress style. This bombardier was an "old goat" and has to have been one of the first airmen to reach the ETO. Note the number of overseas bars on the cuff. The 8th AF patch is the Stubby Wing pattern. The chest sports an English made, bullion, bombardier wing sewn above a four place ribbon bar with DFC, AM with 4 olcs, ETO ribbon and a French Croix de Guerre ribbon with a gold star device. Above the sewn on bar is a single Bronze Star ribbon that probably came out of the medal case when it was awarded. Yes, the ribbon is out of order, but was probably pinned on rather than replacing the sewn on bar.

Perhaps the most fascinating piece on the uniform is the British Observer wing on the right chest. It is a bit unusual in that it is machine embroidered and the wing has a pronounced curve to it rather than the straight pattern normally seen on RAF tunics. The DUC is a standard US made example.

post-151-0-31825600-1398721135.jpg

post-151-0-77784700-1398721147.jpg

post-151-0-05893900-1398721160.jpg

The bombardier eventually achieved the rank of major as evidenced by the bullion insignia on the shoulder strap. The photo also gives a good view of the Stubby wing patch.

Comments are welcome.

Allan

post-151-0-24781600-1398721637.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Both uniforms have names associated with them, but I haven't ever researched them. Back in the day, there wasn't much you could do in the way of research if you didn't get the info straight from the vet or his family. Now days, you can get a whole lot of information if you contact a researcher to do it for you.

Allan

This bombardier was an "old goat" and has to have been one of the first airmen to reach the ETO. Note the number of overseas bars on the cuff.

AM with 4 olcs, Yes, the ribbon is out of order, but was probably pinned on rather than replacing the sewn on bar.

Perhaps the most fascinating piece on the uniform is the British Observer wing on the right chest.

Allan,

These are STUNNING uniforms. I have a couple of questions.

Does the British observer wing mean that he flew with the RAF before the US entered the war?

How many missions does the AM with 4 OLCS equate to? He obviously flew on a lot of missions.

If he did fly with the RAF, the overseas bars would equate to his number of years with just the USAF correct?

Thanks for showing such beautiful uniforms.....Kat

Thanks to all for the kind words. I am glad that you have enjoyed looking at them.

Kat- to answer your questions, I do not believe that the Bombardier ever flew for the RAF. There were a number of instances where wings were exchanged when training (or observing) with the RAF. A good example of this was that the RAF was conducting Night Bombing missions when the AAF was doing daylight missions. Night flying, and more importantly bombing at night were skills that were much rarer among the American aviators than their British and commonwealth brothers. As early as the major was operating in the ETO, I would assume that each award of the air medal was for five missions and the award of the DFC was for 25 missions. Depending on the unit, the bombardier most likely flew thirty missions- AM's for 5, 10, 15, and 20 missions, the DFC for the 25th mission and another AM for the 30th mission. My assumption is that after completing his operational tour, he went on to staff work at the Group or Air Force level where he did planning, liaison work, bombing efficiency reviews, or some other administrative type function. If he did fly for the RAF, then I would have expected there to have been some RAF related ribbons. This is all an assumption on my part. He could very well have flown for the RAF and simply not worn his ribbons. I believe that the o/seas bars would only have been awarded for service with the AAF.

Allan

Allan,

Thanks so much for the explanations. The training makes sense to me. I did not realize the wings would have been traded. He sure flew a lot of missions!

....Kat

Allan:

Both of those are incredible! It's amazing to see uniforms like these, exactly as I'd expect to see them after 70 years. Just WOW......

Dave

Dave,

After having gotten to see some of the great pieces that you picked up while you were collecting AAF and RAF, I can only say that your words are high praise indeed.

Allan

• 5 years later...

I've had both of these cut down four pocket blouses for a long time and have never photographed them in their entirety. Today, I decided it was time to get some uniforms out of the closet and shoot some photos. three of four years ago, I posted a photo of the lead crew patch and the interesting combat crew backing, but here is the "whole shooting match."

This pilot's Ike jacket was picked up at a yard sale many, many years ago. The pilot has to have been one heck of a pilot and undeniably a brave man. The pilot earned a Silver Star, two Distinguished Flying Crosses and at least eight Air Medals. The ribbons are English made and are sewn to brass mounting bars. The 8th AF patch is English made, machine embroidered on felt and then enhanced with some gold bullion "tress" sewn around the border. There is matching bullion tress sewn around the combat crew wing background. The wing is a classic, US made pilot wing made by Fox. It is clutch back.

A nice example of the lead patch as worn by Maj Joseph L. Thury, 505th Fighter Squadron, 339th Fighter Group. A P-51 pilot, he was credited with 28.5 air-to-ground kills and 2.5 air-to-air kills. Photo dated 20 SEP 44.

Shade Ruff

post-5196-0-60932100-1563393499_thumb.jpg