HGU-2 pictures

cepilot

My former PCU-3/P was dated 1967, stayed some months on a F-4 mannequinn pilot wich however, didn't have the needed to show up like a true Vietnam character.

As soon as chance surfaced to have a bargain with a complete, exceptional BA-18 back parachute I didn't think twice and did the thing. As written before, no regrets.

Had a look through my stuff. I have one camo film kit from Jan 1982 and it's he dull pattern. I thought I had a stray sheet of the brighter version but I must have traded it somewhere along the way. Sorry. The packet I have was made by the Ludlow Corporation in Holyoke, MA.

I've looked through additional photos and I've not had any luck finding a photo of the duck-hunter pattern on a helmet. I've also not seen a period-done helmet with desert tape.

In my 1986 "spotter's vacation trip" to Dutch and England airbases, both RAF and USAFE, I still was in time to see at short distance (was literally attached to Woodbridge's fence among dozens other guys) a A-10 pilot taxiing very slow, wearing a single-visor HGU-2A/P with camo tape.

These weren't yet my interests of collector at that time, so I didn't focuse on what camo pattern or similar things. That guy could have been maybe, not more than sixty yards from me so his torso and head filled binoculars' whole field, I currently would pay more attention at some things then overlooked.

btw in those days the HGU-55/Ps were coming in quantities and this was evident. In 1987 at Alconbury Air Show we were only few yards from 527th "Aggressors" while taxiing before us, I remember only one pilot having a HGU-2A/P somehow personalized.

All others wore HGU-55/Ps with not more (just some of them) than a single, dark red star on rear of the grey shell.

Also ……………..

I for one alway thought the tape was some sort of hunting cammo tape that was bought through army surplus shops ….

The fact that this is issue and GOVT issued is great knowledge and news to me.

owen

had never noticed this photo before, somehow interesting!

Spray-painted helmet really looks like from the 'Nam era or early '70s (T-bayonets, foam liner, low-edged visor cover), MBU-12/P mask is in grey color so (if I'm correct?) not even from the early productions - I read those were strictly the dark green ones, subsequently they went to tactical subdued grey.

Maybe at least a 13-15 years between?

post-151851-0-48922400-1418992919.jpg

northcoastaero

I believe the gray MBU-12/P mask was introduced in 1986. The parachute container with the riveted nylon flaps to the plastic container appears to be

non-U.S., possibly British? The HGU-2A/P helmet could be from the late 1960s-early 1970s. The 3 sheet packet of the ERDL/Woodland tape in the

image above appears to be the last issue version with the duller colors from the early-mid 1980s. I believe the desert camouflage tape was issued

the same way.

Do you have the source for this photo? The items being worn don't really belong together for such a late date (relative to the gear).

By 2001, the HGU-55 had already been in service for more than 15 years. I don't believe an HGU-26 would have still been authorized for use in 2001.

The gloves are RAF issue flying gloves. No other flying gear is being worn -- no torso harness, etc. Possibly a posed, retirement photo??

had never noticed this photo before, somehow interesting!

Spray-painted helmet really looks like from the 'Nam era or early '70s (T-bayonets, foam liner, low-edged visor cover), MBU-12/P mask is in grey color so (if I'm correct?) not even from the early productions - I read those were strictly the dark green ones, subsequently they went to tactical subdued grey.

Maybe at least a 13-15 years between?

attachicon.gif0608038_3.jpg

Sorry I really didn't noticed the date superimposed at lower right!! Yes it's 2001..

Made a little more searching, pilot is 8th TFW Bob Pardo of Vietnam fame "Pardo's push" (action over North Vietnam on 10 March 1967, flying F-4D). At this point nothing more likely than helmet being his own from those days, if so a true HGU-2A/P..

I noticed that seat has one of the Martin Baker harnesses that most non US users use for their seats vs a torso harness like the US usually uses.. That must be an old British or other Euro F-4.

• 4 months later...

This pic is issued in a "smoke trail" magazine.

This veteran is a contractor, flying on QF-4 !

That's his VN HGU ! ;)

• 4 months later...
northcoastaero

This just came to mind. Years ago, I remember seeing black and white pictures in books of VNAF (South Vietnam) T-28 and/or A-1

and possibly O-1 pilots/aircrew/observers wearing HGU-2A/P helmets modified with boom microphones that had camouflage tape on

the visor housings and white painted helmet shells. Maybe another camouflage pattern to add to the list? Most likely from the 1960s?

Possibly used by the USAF also.

In most of the VNAF pilot photos I've seen, the helmets are the standard white-overall HGU-series. Some units appear to have had painted visor covers -- whether this was unit wide or personal adornment? Not sure. Can you post any of the photos you mentioned?

If you look back in this thread, you'll see some helmets that are taped with dark colored (OD?) duct-tape.

TranBaHoi_book.jpg

518pilot.jpg