USN Air Medal - Peacetime Award to AIRSHIP Crewman

KASTAUFFER

I recently found this bar mounted group on E-Cheap pinned to a 1950's USN Officers uniform Jacket. The seller didn't even say if the GCM was named. I waited until the last 24 hours of the auction and asked them. It turned out it was.

This group belonged to a US Navy mustang who served as an enlisted man during WWII in ZP (airship) squadrons and continued to do that up through the 1950's. He became an officer after WWII.

in 1954 he was part of a crew that flew an Airship for over 200 hours in sustained flight. For that feat the commander was awarded a DFC and the rest of the crew, the Air Medal.

The citation I am picturing is actually from another member of the crew. I own all his paperwork, but no medals. The citation will be exactly the same for both men.

MVC-019L.JPG

MVC-020L.JPG

That's awesome Kurt! I had no idea they were used so late - into the 50's!

The last US Navy blimp was retired in 1961.

Glad to see you got it. I missed out on his dogtags. They closed a couple days before I spotted the medals.

Kurt

• 2 years later...

Was Duncan a former fighter pilot in WW2? I ended up with a large paper group to one of the officers of that record-breaking crew...this was about 25 years ago or so. I sold it on eBay in 1995 or 1996, IIRC. The group came out of a dumpster here in Southern California.

KASTAUFFER

Was Duncan a former fighter pilot in WW2? I ended up with a large paper group to one of the officers of that record-breaking crew...this was about 25 years ago or so. I sold it on eBay in 1995 or 1996, IIRC. The group came out of a dumpster here in Southern California.

He was a fighter pilot Dave. I bought the Duncan lot from you :)

Kurt