Holster Storage Opinions

gap

Recently picked up a Boyt '43 Shoulder Holster (M3). What is the best way to store it? Should I hang it in my gun safe? Store it flat? Should I put some type of non-absorbent material in holster to help it keep its shape?

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

a friend of mine who used to collect holsters would use plastic pistols to help keep them shaped.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a peg board in my war room and hang them there. I keep a paint brush handy to dust them periodically.

RD

• 10 months later...

SINCE LEATHER ABSORBS MOISTURE, LONG TERM STORAGE IN PLASTIC IS NOT A VALID IDEA. STORING OUT OF A DIRECT HEAT, SUNLIGHT, ETC. WILL PROLONG THIS HOLSTERS LEATHER COMPOSITION. AS FOR STORING IT WITH THE GUN IN IT, IS YOUR DECISION, AS LONG AS THE MEANS OF STORAGE, EITHER HANGING OR LAID FLAT, THE WEIGHT DOES NOT STRESS THE LEATHER, OR STICHING. I ONCE BOUGHT A WW II HIP HOLSTER FOR $5.00, BUT ALL THE SEAM CLOTH STICHING HAD ROTTED AND POPPED LIKE POPCORN WHEN I PUT A .45 IN IT. AFTER A DAY WITH A FINE NEEDLE AND WHITE THREAD, I HAD IT SEWN BACK TOGETHER. I HOPE THESE IDEAS ARE SOME USEFULL INFORMATION. GIH