Opinions sought on WW-I bullion wings

USMCRECON

I'm looking at the WW-I pilot's wings pictured below. They are currently sewn on a WW-I blouse and I have some concerns about their originality - the background of the shield in particular does not look right to me.

I'm hoping some of the wing experts on the forum can give me some opinions on them.

post-1107-1212407122.jpg

This is one of those "millionair mystery collector" auctions.

Very little on this uniform makes sense to me, starting with the wings and ending with the ribbon bar. It looks like it has 2 Victory medals, a mexican border service ribbon, and 2-3 foreign ribbons. Some of the ribbons are prestine, while others are all worn and frayed and bleached out. No name is given. The sewing of the 2nd army and cocade on the shoulder looks like it was poorly done. I am not an expert on foriegn medals by any means, but not what I would expect.

The wings themselves are wrong. The shield should be in bullion, not a white type silk-looking material. The detail is lacking in the bullion. The bullion is rather flat. The placement is all wrong on the uniform.

To me, this just screams that it is a put together uniform. In light of some of the really messed up items coming out of this guys collection (albiet he had some other really NICE stuff as well), I would be really wary of this uniform myself.

Patrick

I'm looking at the WW-I pilot's wings pictured below. They are currently sewn on a WW-I blouse and I have some concerns about their originality - the background of the shield in particular does not look right to me.

I'm hoping some of the wing experts on the forum can give me some opinions on them.

post-1107-1212407122.jpg

...............To me, this just screams that it is a put together uniform. In light of some of the really messed up items coming out of this guys collection (albiet he had some other really NICE stuff as well), I would be really wary of this uniform myself.

Patrick

Thank you for the info, Patrick.