Bullion patches

Ron C.

firefighter

W :blink: W! The 88th ones are very very nice.I really like the Blue Devil one.My favorite is the 10th Mountain.I may be a little prejudice tho, I was in the 10th MTN(LI).

From the Special Forces patch down, are all Pakistani made copies.

I understand that there are Pakistani made copies German stuff is full of them. When did the Pakistanis start making copies of these? I would like to know, because I know about when I got these and where.......and it was many years ago. They were made not to wear on a uniform, but rather on civilian blazers by military guys or vets with reunion groups.

Thanks,

Ron

firefighter

I understand that there are Pakistani made copies German stuff is full of them. When did the Pakistanis start making copies of these? I would like to know, because I know about when I got these and where.......and it was many years ago. They were made not to wear on a uniform, but rather on civilian blazers by military guys or vets with reunion groups.

Thanks,

Ron

​I had some in the late 70's.Bob would know more about them.

Your bullion 88th with the maroon background is probably for the 313th Med Bn. Incredible find.

I agree about the Paki made repros or "blazers". However, the Abn Troop Carrier patch was not WD approved, and went out shortly after WW 2 was over, and the troop carrier units were inactivated. Not to say vets did not wear them as a former combat unit patch, but that was only until approx c. 1950. Your patch was made for vets to wear to reunions, dress up their shadow boxes, etc., but not until the 1970s at the earliest.

Your bullion 88th with the maroon background is probably for the 313th Med Bn. Incredible find.

I agree about the Paki made repros or "blazers". However, the Abn Troop Carrier patch was not WD approved, and went out shortly after WW 2 was over, and the troop carrier units were inactivated. Not to say vets did not wear them as a former combat unit patch, but that was only until approx c. 1950. Your patch was made for vets to wear to reunions, dress up their shadow boxes, etc., but not until the 1970s at the earliest.

I don't see the background as maroon....looks more "purple" to me; however, I think it is just a color shift from age, fading or color shift due to poor dyes......but I am no expert, and could be wrong.

As for the blazer patches, all that is very interesting and as I read it all are in agreement that the pakistanis started making these in the 70s, maybe toward the late 70s........the thing that confuses me is I got these before I entered law school, which was in 1967, and I did not get them at any show or from any dealer. I also didn't order them from anywhere. I go them from a vet who bought them at a reunion he went to for himself and a couple of his friends who were in the other units. I should have left them in the packages they were in I suppose but I didn't and didn't save them.......they had the name of the supplier, which I guess was the maker company name, but it said they were made in the U.S.. But then again, he may have been duped, but I really think he was not a very good "businessman", since he just gave them to me.

Ron

Patchcollector

The Pakistanis have been making bullion insignia forever,it seems.At least a hundred years,and they are masters at their craft.They do great work for relatively cheap prices.The bullion pieces are a subject that can get pretty dicey.I've seen a thread here where it is stated that some "German" bullion patches were actually produced by Pakistanis!It's not certain how many European companies "farmed" out their work to the Pakistanis.So some bullion pieces that are thought to be German or from another country may actually be Pakistani!I read somewhere where the blazer pieces were offered at reunions to the attendees,and were most likely Pakistani produced.
BTW,I have an old Special Forces blazer piece similar to yours.I believe it to be from the 70's or thereabouts.

The Pakistanis have been making bullion insignia forever,it seems.At least a hundred years,and they are masters at their craft.They do great work for relatively cheap prices.The bullion pieces are a subject that can get pretty dicey.I've seen a thread here where it is stated that some "German" bullion patches were actually produced by Pakistanis!It's not certain how many European companies "farmed" out their work to the Pakistanis.So some bullion pieces that are thought to be German or from another country may actually be Pakistani!I read somewhere where the blazer pieces were offered at reunions to the attendees,and were most likely Pakistani produced.

BTW,I have an old Special Forces blazer piece similar to yours.I believe it to be from the 70's or thereabouts.

Thanks again; however, I could care less about the blazer patches, since I have long known they were not the type patches GIs wore on their uniforms, and I paid nothing for them. I thought that one day I might do up displays of 82nd stuff and use that one at the top to signify 82nd items, and the same with SF........had no idea about the other two though. What I really was interested about in my last reply was the 88th patch.......it doesn't look maroon to me.

RON

THe 88th patch is just a bit faded in my humble opinion.I really like it.Has a super theatre made look to it and screams Italian made.

I have seen the blue like this one turn purple over the years especially if they were uniform worn and saw a lot of use and light.I bought a group of patches once from a man whos dad had a hardware store in a small minnesota town.THe local boys all sent stuff home to him and he displayed it all in the windows of his store during and a while after the war.The patches they sent were all exposed to the sun in the windows.Many were faded from this.

manayunkman

Beautiful collection and the devil's face is indicative of the 88th HQ.

For some reason there were quite a few 88th ID vets in the Harrisburg area of Pennsylvania.