WWI USMC Marine Corps HQ complete group for fun

militaryoutfitter

militaryoutfitter

I have known where this group sat since 1988. Yesterday I got the call. The owner got it at a yard sale in PA in '87, and the smalls came later from the widow of this brave Marine. He was HQ Co., 6th Marines, there is also an overcoat, leggings, and more, much of it named. His helmet insignia is painted about 6 inches too far to the right...and before anyone says anything...there is a photo of him wearing it that way...?? No idea why or if its a mistake or what. I thought the USMC guys might like this, shrapnel-wounded in an attack on July 19 at Soissons, the metal barely missing his heart and messing up his chest side and underarm. He lived to he 80, the house in the photo of him is where the lot was bought! Enjoy!

post-22296-0-75893200-1398535776.jpg

militaryoutfitter

His smalls, discharge, etc. 3 OS stripes, single wound stripe, he even stayed for the early occupation as well.

What a great group. Having served with 6th Marines myself, I always love seeing these types of groups

militaryoutfitter

The Marine himself, Clare Eagley, just after he got home from his adventure, next to his parents house in PA.

post-22296-0-09723100-1398536232.jpg

militaryoutfitter

Thank you, its alot of fun, and so complete...just no shoes. Oh well, can't have everything!

militaryoutfitter

I have the helmet turned in the above images so no one gets dizzy...actually so its more centered, but its totally the one in the pic, and a good 1/8 turn to the right.

• 3 months later...

This is a really great grouping, congratulations on obtaining it all so intact. I have an original yardlong photo of the 6th MGB taken the day before they mustered out. Great clear image, and I was looking at it again last night with a magnifying glass. Every time I do that, I notice some other neat feature, and last night I picked up on how many of the Indianhead logos on their helmets were painted off center. I didn't see any this far off, but several that were definitely not plumb. Once again, a very nice grouping, thanks for sharing. Kevin

Outstanding group.

Please take a picture of the shoulder patch.I would love to see it as there are so many variations and the forum also has a topic on them.

THANKS for posting this fantastic time capsule.

What a great grouping! Wonderful that everything stayed together all these years. Really enjoyed seeing it and would also love to see a close-up of the patch.