USMC issued boots. Reference needed.

usmchistorian

Man...I really wasn't sure where to put this. The topic could cross over to other conflicts. My question is this; are there any good pictures or reference of the boots issued to the Corps in the late 1800's to early 1900's? I know there are photos of Marines of the time periods but it's hard to make out the details of the footwear. I'm looking for boots that are prior to 1912. Any help would be appreciated.

I am also looking for some comments on this one. I have acquired two pairs of boots over the years that I believe are probably civilian, but match the look anyway of period boots worn by the Marines around the turn of the century. I tried to do the same research a couple years ago to determine if either of my pair had a chance. I couldn't find much at all on the subject, other than looking through a magnifying glass at a few period photos. The little I can share is they should be black toe cap boots with brown colored laces with I believe four hooks at the top. If I remember right a white or cream colored cotton or canvas lining probably with a contract stamp for issued ones. Mine don't have the stamp inside, but could have worn off or never stamped, I don't know. I will try to post a photo of the two I have and once again, would love to see an attributed pair or ones marked for comparison. This is one of the many reasons I cannot wait for Alec's next volume. Kevin

Here are my two boots, again probably civilian, but of the period and should be very close to what Marines were wearing at the time. They are place setters for me to display with my USMC Span Am uniforms until I can maybe someday find a marked pair. There is a good studio photo on page 306 of Equipping the Corps that shows two brother, a Marine and a Sailor. Close ups study of their boots help, but of course that is WWI period and the sailors boots are the most visible of the two. Hope this helps a bit, would once again love to see what others have to say or show.

post-21606-0-40206400-1398521330.jpg

post-21606-0-24281000-1398521397.jpg

post-21606-0-91904200-1398521426.jpg

You will also find some info/photos on page 103 and 118 of US Marine Uniforms 1912-1940 by Moran, although the boots depicted are a bit newer than turn of the century.

world war I nerd

I've also been trying to work out what kind of footwear was issued to the Marines between 1902 and 1919 with little success.

However, I did run across a pair of reproduction USMC shoes that were caller the 1910 Cordovan Shoe which, if I'm to believe what the website told me were issued through WW II.

Top left are the repro shoes, top right are a pair of 1944 dated Cordovan Shoes and at the bottom is an ad for USMC surplus shoes from 1920

post-5143-0-79489300-1398524530.jpg

usmchistorian

Kevin,

I have that exact pair in your second photo. Mine are very dark (cordovan in color). Our boots have the right charachteritics. Capped toe, color, and a narrow toe. As far as the eye hooks, I thought it might be a correct detail but without seeing a confirmed pair, who knows. Mine also have the "white" duck like lining inside. Does yours have the Goodyear soles as well? I can't recall the page number but there is a great shot in Alec's book Equipping the Corps of a Marine holding a Krag and you can see a great shot of the toe caps and how narrow the style is.

Neither of my pair are marked Goodyear on the sole. One is marked "Light Tread" and the other "Presto Grip", and both appear to be hard rubber. Not sure about the hooks either-the photos I referenced above in both Tulkoff's book and Moran's book all appear to have the hooks.

usmchistorian

Supposedly mine came from a Marine grouping. The guy I purchased them from claims to have sold a turn of the century Marine grouping but forgot about the boots. He found them later after he sold the group and made them availble on the market. However, as we all know talk is cheap and means nothing without being truly verified. I did locate some numbers on the white lining but no other USMC stamps of any kind.

I have some numbers inside mine as well, partially obscured and can't see any usmc markings. I would love to see your pair if you get a chance to post some pics. Kevin

usmchistorian

Here are some pics

post-9906-0-57424000-1401135473.jpg

Toe cap detail

post-9906-0-17363800-1401135511.jpg

Lace and eyelet detail

post-9906-0-57329300-1401135546.jpg

Heel detail. There is an embossed stamp on the sole that reads "arch support of steel".

post-9906-0-99558400-1401135595.jpg

usmchistorian

Well for some reason the ipad isn't posting the pics right. I will have to edit it when I get home. My apologies.

I need to find some of my early pics but I believe there might be some shoe/boot detail in them. I know I have data about boots falling apart when exposed to ocean water and maybe who the contract belonged too. I think I have civil war era contract info too.