.30 Carbine dual primer caseing.

lambo35

I found this L C 52 case, it has both Berdan and Boxer primer holes in the case head. How did this happen?

Thanx, Chuck.

post-31437-0-28510900-1398477738.jpg

That is interesting. I never looked inside but some LC carbine ammo was supposed to have been "counterfeited" by the Chinese. I have some that I believe to be from this group. I'll pull one and look at primer pocket.

RustyCanteen

I have heard about the cartridges mentioned above by 'copdoc'. That would probably explain it. I don't think the US Lake City cases used berdan primers at all in the 1950s, certainly there would have been no reason that I know of.

I have a hundred rounds of the lc-52 head stamp Chinese made ammo , understand that its corrosive show I will break it down for the components and use it for reloading

Garandomatic

If it is safe to fire, I say save it for when you want to do a large spell of shooting and have time afterward to give your carbine a thorough bath. WHen I had more time to shoot, I would always clean the Mosins in the usual manner, very thoroughly, with windex, then repeat with Hoppes, and never had issues.

I'm glad someone else uses Windex besides me. I always get strange looks at the range when I use. I had some older military 06 that I used it on.

Garandomatic

I've heard there is something in the windex that helps dissolve the salts. Then again, I have also heard that it is just the water in the mix that does it. Still other folks say that Hoppes should do the job by itself, so it might just be that cleaning it twice gets all of it. Between you and me, if it means to annoying rust spots in the barrel, mine will always get a dose of windex and another of Hoppes!

If it is safe to fire, I say save it for when you want to do a large spell of shooting and have time afterward to give your carbine a thorough bath. WHen I had more time to shoot, I would always clean the Mosins in the usual manner, very thoroughly, with windex, then repeat with Hoppes, and never had issues.

I'm not an expert on this, and hate for this to be my very first post, but I think this guidance is INCORRECT. For an M-1 GARAND, I would give this exact advice, but the reason the US never issued any corrosively primed ammunition for the M-1 Carbine is that there are parts of its gas system that CANNOT be adequately cleaned, without excessive disassembly, with Hoppe's, Windex, ammonia, etc. Can't speak to the Mosin either. I recommend you do not fire any corrosively primed ammo in an M-1 Carbine, and this can be easily verified as it has been posted previously on several carbine and ammunition sites.

Taber10

Garandomatic

Take down and clean the gas system. Done. Less of a big deal to do than with the Garand, and the tool for the short gas piston nut is like $9 shipped from ebay. If attended to immediately after shooting, like I said, just like with the nasty old Mosins, you are good to go.

RustyCanteen

Hi guys,

Just a friendly reminder, lets not forget this thread is focused on a .30 cartridge casing and not on cleaning techniques.

Thanks,

RC

More than likely, this is a Berdan primed case that someone already reloaded, and didn't notice that it was Berdan primed. When they resized it, the primer decapper punched a regular primer hole in the middle. I've done it many times by accident...

David Albert

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Just what I was going to say. I was reloading some .30 carbine one time and I was decapping/resizing a piece and I noticed a little more resistance than normal but nothing too terribly unusual. Didn't notice anything until I seated the primer and noticed it would not seat flush. Finally decapped it and noticed the two offset holes. That's when I realized that I just deprimed a Chinese fake LC 52 piece of brass. I have it sitting on my workbench now.