Old posts, prior rule change posts with photobucket photos

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kevin,

All the threads/posts will be reviewed and many of us are working certain sections as we speak. I don't think anyone has started the Collection Display area yet but it will happen. One thing that will help us get these images back up is for those that have locked their images from copying, to remove any blocks.

Tim

donation2015.gif

A friendly reminder that my images and material posted here are not to be considered "fair use" or "public domain". If you want to legally use my material outside this forum, for any purpose, my express written permission is requested and required beforehand.

Thank you.

JD,

First, let me say, its nice to see someone actually stepping up and rising to the occasion instead of just complaining here. Well done!

On the photo editing, I'm not sure what photo editing software you have but most cameras come with some form of editing software designed for whatever camera you buy these days. If you have photo editing software, look for any option on resizing/transforming images. You might have to play with it a bit for dimensions but try to save a few images around 900 pixels for the max dimension on either the width or height of the image. I have found 900 pixels to be about the size that fits under the old 150kb requirements and still fill the screen when posting on the forums.

Now that they have increased the max file size to 250kb, you could go higher. Just keep in mind that the image posted will, I believe, resize downward automatically to show in the thread but, if you click on the photo, it will display to the max size allowed.

Tim

The forum's layout works best with images no more than 800 pixels wide and in fact uploaded images are resized to that for display.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

And yet, another reason to get rid of off-site photo hosting sites:

Found while editing.

post-50776-0-97822800-1399761415.jpg

donation2015.gif

A friendly reminder that my images and material posted here are not to be considered "fair use" or "public domain". If you want to legally use my material outside this forum, for any purpose, my express written permission is requested and required beforehand.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Ouch! I didn't realize all the old photo links would go bye bye either. My fault. Thankfully, I posted my GPW restoration thread on another site as well. Looks like it will remain mostly a narrative here. I will really think twice about future photo posts...it'll save time to be primarily just a reader now. User beware. :)

Collecting WWII USAAF Militaria and a Few WWII Vehicles Along the Way

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Ouch! I didn't realize all the old photo links would go bye bye either. My fault. Thankfully, I posted my GPW restoration thread on another site as well. Looks like it will remain mostly a narrative here. I will really think twice about future photo posts...it'll save time to be primarily just a reader now. User beware. :)

Hi Zeph!

We're working on restoring the affected images.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Zeph!

We're working on restoring the affected images.

Sounds great RC! There are so many in my one thread I wouldn't know where to start. :)

Zeph

Collecting WWII USAAF Militaria and a Few WWII Vehicles Along the Way

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm willing to help correct my pre-switchover posts that reside on photo bucket. I can't figure out a way for me to gain access to edit my older posts. Is this something that is possible?

I didn't want to just send out a list of the threads where I posted through the third party hosting. I figure the mod's have enough on their plates for the foreseeable future.

If there's anyway I can help without making another problem I'm certainly game. It doesn't seem that since I've switched over to attachments that there has been any problems with my most recent pictures.

donation2014.gif

I'm willing to help correct my pre-switchover posts that reside on photo bucket. I can't figure out a way for me to gain access to edit my older posts. Is this something that is possible?

I didn't want to just send out a list of the threads where I posted through the third party hosting. I figure the mod's have enough on their plates for the foreseeable future.

If there's anyway I can help without making another problem I'm certainly game. It doesn't seem that since I've switched over to attachments that there has been any problems with my most recent pictures.

Users can only edit their own posts for the first 10 or 30 minutes (can't recall which), after that it requires a mod

We're slowly getting them all transferred over

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This new rule for photo posting has just put me out of posting any more pics... I simply am not interested in learning new ways to do things when the old method wasn't broke,in my opinion of course.

Yep, this forum has lost a lot of info and photos I'd posted since I've been here and won't ever be getting any more now.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

There are a few of us working diligently to add the photo links back to the forum. I have been astounded at how many great threads have been lost forever because forum members deleted their pictures from their hosting websites.

While adding pictures back, I have seen some amazing collections that I never noticed in the past. It doesn’t take long to add these pictures to the threads because most of them easily fit within the parameters of the forum.

I (along with a few others) volunteered to help recover the lost pictures. We do it for the love of this forum, the friendships we have made, and for the amazing collections we have seen.

It greatly disappoints me that a few members keep digging in their heels, complaining, whining and basically acting childish because they don’t want to take the few extra minutes to upload the pictures to the forum. As I said, almost all of the pictures easily fit within the parameters when downloaded from the photo hosting websites so this constant complaining is just because they can’t be bothered to take a few extra minutes out of their day to upload pictures.

Sorry for the rant but I am really getting tired of hearing the constant whining at the same time that some of us are working hard adding back the lost pictures. Either put up or shut up.

PS. If the moderators feel that I have over stepped my boundaries in replying, feel free to delete my post.

...Kat

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

Yep, this forum has lost a lot of info and photos I'd posted since I've been here and won't ever be getting any more now.

Ah, no this forum hasn't lost a lot of info and these type of whining posts as Kat mentioned do nothing to help with anything. Take a look at the list of moderators and you will find those who are referred to as: Moderator - Temporary, these folks are all volunteers who are going to the links, grabbing those photo's(if they are still there) and posting them permanently to this forum. They have done thousands of photo's thus far.

And, Yes, there was a problem and it did have to be fixed because it was broken, even though forum member Scott G thinks otherwise. Hundreds of great threads were ruined as a result of photo-bucket and other photo-hosting accounts being closed or photo's being removed by the poster. Thus, having them permanently on the USMF actually saves those threads from ever suffering the same fate.

This was also a problem in the For Sale section. A seller would post his photo's, another member would buy the item and then the seller would pull the photo's from his photo-host. If a problem arose, we had no photo's to verify what was going on.

So, yes, there were problems, lots of them. Now the only problem we have are a handful of members who can't seem to grasp onto this explanation.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

It greatly disappoints me that a few members keep digging in their heels, complaining, whining and basically acting childish because they don’t want to take the few extra minutes to upload the pictures to the forum. As I said, almost all of the pictures easily fit within the parameters when downloaded from the photo hosting websites so this constant complaining is just because they can’t be bothered to take a few extra minutes out of their day to upload pictures.

It's a lot more than just a few minutes to upload if you have a lot of content you already put onto the forum which was later deemed an unacceptable channel.

I'd probably have to spend the better part of a solid weekend to put all the content of photos back into thread I'd already posted that were very popular.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the forum, which one day randomly decided that a popular and efficient channel for posting photos was somehow not okay anymore. And no amount of passive-aggressiveness will change where the problem really lies.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

It's a lot more than just a few minutes to upload if you have a lot of content you already put onto the forum which was later deemed an unacceptable channel.

I'd probably have to spend the better part of a solid weekend to put all the content of photos back into thread I'd already posted that are very popular.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the forum, which one day randomly decided that a popular and efficient channel for posting photos was somehow not okay anymore.

Really???? Have you read the explanations? We have people putting your photo's back in, it isn't costing you five seconds worth of your time.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

I'd probably have to spend the better part of a solid weekend to put all the content of photos back into thread I'd already posted that are very popular.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the forum, which one day randomly decided that a popular and efficient channel for posting photos was somehow not okay anymore.

I am not talking about pictures that have ALREADY been posted but pictures that are being added now. You said "won't ever be getting any more now" which is basically someone stomping their feet and saying they don't want to change.

This was NOT a random change but something that had been asked for years but people still used outside hosting. When they asked years ago, why didn't you change then? If you had, then your pictures would not be lost now.

We are working diligently on the pictures that had already been posted so complaining about that is a moot point now.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

There are a few of us working diligently to add the photo links back to the forum........

I believe the majority of us appreciate the efforts made be the moderation team to restore lost photos. I like to go back in the as far as I can reading older posts and it's really frustrating not to be able to view the photos. Keep up the good work.

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif