Old posts, prior rule change posts with photobucket photos

If I come across a thread that is not my own, would it be ok to post the pictures correctly or should I just leave it alone?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Looking for:

WWII-KW Enlisted/NCO marked M1s

Items related to the Fort Pierce Naval Amphibious Training Base

Medals awarded to Floridians

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I come across a thread that is not my own, would it be ok to post the pictures correctly or should I just leave it alone?

You could just PM a moderator and make it easier, and we'll make the update

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Ok...so I've started adding photos to the bottom of effected threads.

Thank you so much for all that you are doing! It is greatly appreciated.

....Kat

PS. I am old and forgot that I saw your WASP wing thread. :) It wouldn't hurt for me to look again. Getting old is not for the weak. :lol:

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

Thank you so much for all that you are doing! It is greatly appreciated.

....Kat

PS. I am old and forgot that I saw your WASP wing thread. :) It wouldn't hurt for me to look again. Getting old is not for the weak. :lol:

Hahaha. Thanks Kat. I owe it to the guys who's story I shared as well as anyone that uses these threads for reference on ww2 aviation collectibles. I have some slow time at work this week, so I'm going to try and get a few of these done. I will be working on the WASP thread as well tomorrow. Don't worry, I forget what I did the day before sometimes! Haha

JD

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thank you Russ! Greatly appreciated. No hurry on them. I just have time to get some done this week. Not trying to overwhelm you or any other mods.

Thanks again!

JD

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Hopefully last batch to have photos inserted back into threads. Thanks, JD

18. finished

19. finished

20. finished

21. finished

22. finished

23. finished

24. finished

25. finished

Still needs some photos updated:

finished

finished 5-12

finished 5-12

finished 5-12

finished 5-12

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54645-wwii-396th-fighter-pilots-group-thunderbums/

AAF Collector...........

donation2017.gif

Thank you again R! I appreciate it very much.

JD

AAF Collector...........

donation2017.gif

28 has been updated

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Many thanks Brig! Much appreciated!

JD

AAF Collector...........

donation2017.gif

There are numerous pinned threads on how to post photos directly to this forum. It is not rocket science. Once you get the hang of it, it is super simple and quick.

Unfortunately, it is neither super simple and quick if none of the thousands of pictures I have are 251k max in size. I am being facetious here, but a camera does not exist (to my knowledge) that takes photographs that small. Which means you have to resize every single photo you would like to share with fellow forum members.

Unless I am missing something and I am just being crabby here, this new system for posting pictures really SUCKS! It is not clear how to place them where you want in your post. I also thought there was not going to be size limit on them as a compensation for not being able to use a hosting site like photobucket. This appears not to be the case though.

Again, am I missing something here (I hope so), because I hate this new system. Can anyone help or is this what we are stuck with moving forward?

If this is what we are stuck with then I may seriously consider not sharing photos anymore. And it would be a real shame as I just don't have the time to go back and resize all my prior photos and any new ones I take. In this case everyone loses, especially my fellow forum members.

Tim

donation2013.gif

The photos from one of my corrupted topics is now restored. Selecting the placement was easy. I clicked quote post, for thread location, and posted the corresponding missing photos. I sent a PM to one of the Moderators, and DONE!

Thank you Brig

Tom

Unfortunately, it is neither super simple and quick if none of the thousands of pictures I have are 251k max in size. I am being facetious here, but a camera does not exist (to my knowledge) that takes photographs that small. Which means you have to resize every single photo you would like to share with fellow forum members.

Unless I am missing something and I am just being crabby here, this new system for posting pictures really SUCKS! It is not clear how to place them where you want in your post. I also thought there was not going to be size limit on them as a compensation for not being able to use a hosting site like photobucket. This appears not to be the case though.

Again, am I missing something here (I hope so), because I hate this new system. Can anyone help or is this what we are stuck with moving forward?

If this is what we are stuck with then I may seriously consider not sharing photos anymore. And it would be a real shame as I just don't have the time to go back and resize all my prior photos and any new ones I take. In this case everyone loses, especially my fellow forum members.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Let me address your comments in order.

1. I (like most people) usually have my camera set to take larger than necessary photos. Most digital cameras can take photos in several size formats (small, medium, large, wide shot, etc) that are programmed into the camera. For instance if I took a photo with my camera set at 'large' I would end up with a photo that is nearly poster sized! Way too large for the internet. Actually the 'small' setting is generally right on for internet/web photos and some cameras have a specific internet/web option that will take photos that are perfect for uploading. Case in point I just snapped a couple of quick pictures using the 'macro' lens mode to show that quality is not an issue when using the smallest image option (640x480 pixels) on my camera. These images have not been altered or resized in any manner, they are straight off the camera. Size averaging @ 170-180kb. The button came out at about 72kb. All well within our upload limits. Some cameras may even be able to take photos under 251kb using a medium setting, I don't know I only tested the smallest as an example:

2. There seems to be a misconception here, the system we use is the same we have used. The change is that we have tried to make it easier to upload images and we were forced to ban off-site image hosting because some members were misusing that option to make their photos temporary. That could really cause headaches when it happened in the For Sale section. Now I either said it in this thread or another we had, but we may tweak our upload size limit in the future. Right now we're trying to make this work with what we have. We're all volunteers so any work on the system is on an 'as needed' basis depending on what takes precedence.

3. I would like you to continue posting your photos. What model camera do you use? It's very probable that is has different size options as most now do. Changing one setting would probably solve that and you would never need to resize any image again.

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Tim,

Let me address your comments in order.

1. I (like most people) usually have my camera set to take larger than necessary photos. Most digital cameras can take photos in several size formats (small, medium, large, wide shot, etc) that are programmed into the camera. For instance if I took a photo with my camera set at 'large' I would end up with a photo that is nearly poster sized! Way too large for the internet. Actually the 'small' setting is generally right on for internet/web photos and some cameras have a specific internet/web option that will take photos that are perfect for uploading. Case in point I just snapped a couple of quick pictures using the 'macro' lens mode to show that quality is not an issue when using the smallest image option (640x480 pixels) on my camera. These images have not been altered or resized in any manner, they are straight off the camera. Size averaging @ 170-180kb. The button came out at about 72kb. All well within our upload limits. Some cameras may even be able to take photos under 251kb using a medium setting, I don't know I only tested the smallest as an example:

attachicon.gif17.JPG

attachicon.gif1913.JPG

attachicon.gifbrodies.JPG

attachicon.gifbutton.JPG

2. There seems to be a misconception here, the system we use is the same we have used. The change is that we have tried to make it easier to upload images and we were forced to ban off-site image hosting because some members were misusing that option to make their photos temporary. That could really cause headaches when it happened in the For Sale section. Now I either said it in this thread or another we had, but we may tweak our upload size limit in the future. Right now we're trying to make this work with what we have. We're all volunteers so any work on the system is on an 'as needed' basis depending on what takes precedence.

3. I would like you to continue posting your photos. What model camera do you use? It's very probable that is has different size options as most now do. Changing one setting would probably solve that and you would never need to resize any image again.

RC

RC,

I want to thank you for your effort in explaining the new system to me and offering some pointers on photography. I really appreciate it and want to apologize for my rant. I WAS in a cranky mood last night, not the best condition to be in when posting one's thoughts on any matter.

Not to worry, I have no intention of stopping my postings of text and photos to the Forum. This is the one go-to Forum I visit and I am a huge fan.

I am going to begin playing around with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 camera this weekend to learn how to take shots that fall at or below the 251 Kb size limit. I will also have to go back and see if there is some way to "wholesale" change the size of my existing photographs. I was not exaggerating though, I do have thousands of photos - many of my composite photographs of militaria have won online forum photography competitions.

Thanks again for your patience with me.

Regards,

Tim

donation2013.gif

#27 is fixed

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

#26 is fixed

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Thank you again Brig. Much appreciated.

JD

AAF Collector...........

donation2017.gif

Some of the other members have offered to help fix threads. I offered once before but thought I would offer again. I know that I personally have a ton of posts listed just in this thread that need to be fixed. If the moderators or administrators would like, I would be more than happy to help fix my affected threads. I could work on some here and there to get them finished up since I have already re-posted and re-sized all the photos to the bottom of my threads.

Let me know.

JD

AAF Collector...........

donation2017.gif

First of all I want to thank everyone who has offered to help out with restoring photos to posts. I appreciate the willingness to help and also the offer. It has been noted.

Thanks again!

RustyCanteen

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

JD,

First, let me say, its nice to see someone actually stepping up and rising to the occasion instead of just complaining here. Well done!

On the photo editing, I'm not sure what photo editing software you have but most cameras come with some form of editing software designed for whatever camera you buy these days. If you have photo editing software, look for any option on resizing/transforming images. You might have to play with it a bit for dimensions but try to save a few images around 900 pixels for the max dimension on either the width or height of the image. I have found 900 pixels to be about the size that fits under the old 150kb requirements and still fill the screen when posting on the forums.

Now that they have increased the max file size to 250kb, you could go higher. Just keep in mind that the image posted will, I believe, resize downward automatically to show in the thread but, if you click on the photo, it will display to the max size allowed.

Tim

donation2015.gif

A friendly reminder that my images and material posted here are not to be considered "fair use" or "public domain". If you want to legally use my material outside this forum, for any purpose, my express written permission is requested and required beforehand.

Thank you.

This photo is 246 kb and is 951 by 1310 pixels.

Not difficult to do if you have photo editing.

W

post-525-0-77505200-1399589257.jpg

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

W,

Yes, your example is case in point. Fits on the screen and if you click on it, enlarges nicely. Fairly easy IMO and more than large enough for the forum.

Tim

donation2015.gif

A friendly reminder that my images and material posted here are not to be considered "fair use" or "public domain". If you want to legally use my material outside this forum, for any purpose, my express written permission is requested and required beforehand.

Thank you.