WWI CPO Medical Uniform

Navy Dan

Hello everyone,

Just picked this up today for $10 today mainly for the patch but I'm not sure about the uniform if it is early I don't want to strip the patches off.

There are no tags in it, the buttons are Fine Quality, it feels like thick cotton.The pockets also has flaps over them. The pants are button fly and has buttons for suspenders.

The patch is a nice wool back and stripes they are attached in the WW I style I have seen before. I'm not sure of the overseas stripes?

Any Help would be Great

THANKS DAN

post-2552-1212357273.jpg

post-2552-1212357282.jpg

post-2552-1212357290.jpg

Dan,

It appears to be a WW1 era CPO jacket by the cut and shape of the collar. Please don't destroy it.

Chris

Dan,

It appears to be a WW1 era CPO jacket by the cut and shape of the collar. Please don't destroy it.

Chris

I was not 100% sure of the uniform thats why I asked before I did anything. Another thing that through me for a curve is it has some stiff threads that stick out almost like nylon strand.

Thanks it will be untouched.

Dan

Dan,

Nice find!!!!!!! Yes, The insignia looks wright and it has the ww1 service stripes .NICE!!!!!!!!

Yes don't strip it's probabaly over a $200.00 set.

Jason

Another thing that through me for a curve is it has some stiff threads that stick out almost like nylon strand.

Dan,

Woven horse hair netting was used to stiffen tailored garments (usually in the lapels or shoulders) around the turn of the century. Over time, strands can come loose and poke out through the fabric.

Chris

Dan,

Woven horse hair netting was used to stiffen tailored garments (usually in the lapels or shoulders) around the turn of the century. Over time, strands can come loose and poke out through the fabric.

Chris

Chris ,

That explains it, The stiff hairs are sticking out all along the lapels I pulled one out which ran parallel with the cloth and put a match to it but it did not smell like plastic.

I almost walked away from this because it didn't feel right but figured I would be safe just for the patch.

Thanks Dan

Dan,

Nice find!!!!!!! Yes, The insignia looks wright and it has the ww1 service stripes .NICE!!!!!!!!

Yes don't strip it's probabaly over a $200.00 set.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

The patch concerned me because it was facing the wrong way? similar to the torpedosmate I posted before.

Dan

Dan,

Beautiful coat! Any name or ID in it?

I have been all through it but could not find any name, The tag on the inside pocket is totally washed out .I have also turned all of the pockets out and have not found anything.

Dan

The patch concerned me because it was facing the wrong way? similar to the torpedosmate I posted before.

Dan,

During WW1, all Navy rates had the eagle facing sinister (to the left) whether worn on the right or left sleeve. After 1941 (I think it was 1941--Navy guys correct me if I am wrong), left sleeve rates were changed so the eagle faces dexter (to the right). That way, the eagle is always facing forward, as worn.

A sinister, slanted crow is proper for your WW1 Era Chief.

Nice jacket. I think a good dry-cleaning and pressing will really make this look sharp, and every bit the very valuable item it is.

Chris

Dan,

During WW1, all Navy rates had the eagle facing sinister (to the left) whether worn on the right or left sleeve. After 1941 (I think it was 1941--Navy guys correct me if I am wrong), left sleeve rates were changed so the eagle faces dexter (to the right). That way, the eagle is always facing forward, as worn.

A sinister, slanted crow is proper for your WW1 Era Chief.

Nice jacket. I think a good dry-cleaning and pressing will really make this look sharp, and every bit the very valuable item it is.

Chris

Yes, you are correct. Only the seaman branch wore thier rates on the right sleeve and that was the same in ww2. The seaman branch consits of the following : Boatswain's mate, Fire controlman ,Mineman, Gunner's mate, Quartermaster, Signalman,Torpedoman,Turret Captain. Not all are from ww1, just to give you a idea.

Jason

You Guys are AMAZING !! I learn more every time I log on. I really appreciate all of your patience and help !! The uniform is really minty but will get a well deserved cleaning and a press. And to think I almost walked away from this piece because it felt funny .Now I need the Hat!!!

Thanks Dan

Very nice uniform, everything looks correct I am suprised he had no service stripe but I have seen where guys made Chief in 4 years. I will get some guff for that but I have seen at least one instance in WW2 and one in WW1. I have heard that the way you transfered from a command could affect ones advancement.

Could we see a closeup of the buttons?

Everybody deserves a deal like this once and awhile.

John

Bob Hudson
Very nice uniform, everything looks correct I am suprised he had no service stripe but I have seen where guys made Chief in 4 years. I will get some guff for that but I have seen at least one instance in WW2 and one in WW1. I have heard that the way you transfered from a command could affect ones advancement.

By WWII at least you could enter the Navy Hospital Corps at higher ranks by virtue of civilian training: for instance, "With expereince equivalent to a standard Red Cross first-aid course you may enlist as a Hospital Apprentice First Class" (skipping Apprentice and Apprentice Second Class) and "If qualified professionally by civilian training or experience, you may be eligible for a Petty Officer rating of the Hospital Corps."

(quotes from http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/Corpsman/index.html )

This advance in rank is still here today. I went in as a Hospitalman skipping Hospitalman Recruit and Hospitalman Apprentice. Today its based on education level.

And yes it did happen with making chief in less than 4 years, if one had certain credentials in the civilian world one could be put in as a Po2 or Po1 and make Chief in under 4. I have at least 1 or 2 Chief's blues especially rates such as ones who were Seabee's or electrician mates that only have 1 stripe. For one I know he went in as a Po2 because of his job skills in the civilian world, he didnt need the training a standard boot would need who has no idea how to do construction.

Hn Fritz

Could we see a closeup of the buttons?

Everybody deserves a deal like this once and awhile.

John

Close up of buttons The bottom one I held a light on it thats why the color is off. The back is stamp Fine Quality

I'm really happy to add this to my WW I enlisted jumper and aviators uniform

post-2552-1212403597.jpg

post-2552-1212403606.jpg

Close up of buttons The bottom one I held a light on it thats why the color is off. The back is stamp Fine Quality

I'm really happy to add this to my WW I enlisted jumper and aviators uniform

Generally, in war time, making Chief in less that four years is not uncommon. My uncle was a Ships Cook Third class at Pearl Harbor, Made PO2 in January, and in January '43 was made Chief. He was regular Navy, I have seen the paper work, he was not a "Temporary Appointment". Yes, he skipped First Class all together. There is another old Ssailor here localy who was Cox'wain (BM3) when the war started and by the sumer fo '43 he was also Chief Boatswains Mate. He was offered Warrent Bo's'un in '45.

Interesting story, the Navy still had a "Direct Assencion" program in the mid 1980s. I was training recruits in Great Lakes, and one of the other Company Commanders in the division I was working in had a recruit who was advanced to Chief upon graduation froom Boot Camp. He had been a Police LT. and was made a Chief Master-At-Arms. After graduation, the Company Commander (PO1) had to take the new Chief to the Exchange to get his new uniforms. I had two guys that were advanced to PO3 in CB rates upon graduation, but that was not as big a deal as the Chief.

Steve Hesson