1943 first aid jungle pouch

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Thanks for all of the great info guys ! Nice to know it was used for the pacific theater.

It's very salty with some tears and rips. Just the way I like it.

Here's some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

Nice 1943 Dated Pouch, not to easy to come by!

LF

Thanks

In the link posted above for medical kits in the reference section there are a couple posts of interest. Posts #4 & 12 are the standard USMD M-2 jungle first aid kit components. The post by Gunbarrel #17 is interesting and relevant to this topic and the link in post 15 in this topic. It appears the components for the USMC utilized BuMed components or navy medical items, there are three or so documents that list the components which defer from the USMD kits. In post #17 by Gunbarrel one might think its cobbled together and one might try to find the mainstream USMD components but documentation proves that his kit is quite correct. Also note in the docs there is no mention of the Carlisle bandage, this packet would have been attached to bottom the M-2 kit providing more space for other necessary components.

I just recently received an Iwo Jima after action report of of the 2nd 155mm Howitzer Battalion and it contained a list of content in their Jungle Pouch, which is slightly different from the list that is commonly known. I attached a screen shot of the contents.

The salt tablets and Chapstick are the most notable.

post-20589-0-03606600-1398364583.jpg

Leonardo

Here's a link to a topic on the forum showing a unissued m2 jungle first aid kit contents. It shows a carlisle dressing in it(Packet First-Aid Field Brown Dressing). Also there's a document from the MED 6 catalog in the same topic showing that a carlisle dressing is issued with it (Packet, first aid, field brown dressing). Also I forgot to mention the bandaids were issued with it also. I'll also post the photos in this post. Here's the link to the topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/143112-jungle-first-aid-kits/?hl=+jungle%20+first%20+aid%20+kit

post-104203-0-07145800-1398371449.jpg

post-104203-0-47326200-1398371467.jpg

post-104203-0-91715100-1398371476.jpg

Browninggunner688

very nice 43 dated pouch, I too am looking for a 43 dated one to complete my collection, they are hard to find this side of the pond, 44 and 45 dated ones are around and I have several of these dated ones

Does anyone know if there is a pdf out there for printing your own atabrine tablet labels, I have searched many times and got no where. I have several of the tablet vials with traces of labels on them but I would like to restore some for my jungle kits.

Many thanks.

Nick

Screamingeagles101

very nice 43 dated pouch, I too am looking for a 43 dated one to complete my collection, they are hard to find this side of the pond, 44 and 45 dated ones are around and I have several of these dated ones

Does anyone know if there is a pdf out there for printing your own atabrine tablet labels, I have searched many times and got no where. I have several of the tablet vials with traces of labels on them but I would like to restore some for my jungle kits.

Many thanks.

Nick

Thanks. I wasn't aware the the 43 dated pouch was that hard to come by. Out of curiosity, would you know the value of it ?

Browninggunner688

Yea 43 dated jungle pouches are hard to get here in England, unless I am not looking hard enough, ( 28+ years collecting U.S. gear ) and never found one. The ones I have ( 2, 44 and 3, 45 dated ) I only paid on average £10.00 ( $16.00 ) for the empty pouches and paid£60.00 ( $100 ) for a complete BOYT44 pouch missing frazers solution bottle ( these also are very hard to find over here ).

As to the value of your kit it would certainly be more then I paid for my BOYT44 set.

Browninggunner688

Sorry screamingeagles101, I have miss read your post your 43 dated pouch could fetch £20 +, ($32+) sorry for the confusion I thought you ment a complete kit.

Nick.

I got my 43 dated jungle first aid pouch for $5 at the show of shows this year. I guess he didn't know what he had. I have 3 jungle first aid pouches though(two 44 dated, one 43 dated). I would say yours is worth around $30-$35.

Screamingeagles101

Sorry screamingeagles101, I have miss read your post your 43 dated pouch could fetch £20 +, ($32+) sorry for the confusion I thought you ment a complete kit.

Nick.

Thanks, I paid $10, nice to know it's not too common.

Have been looking around at m2 jungle first aid kits and ran into a site that shows a double snapped m2 jungle first aid kit that is possibly a experimental model of the m2 jungle first aid kit. Has anyone else seen these? I have been trying to find more information about these but can't seem to find anything. I'll post a picture of it and a link to the site(the pouch is almost at the bottom of the page). The site is in French so I recommend using Google Chrome if you have it. If not go to the second link, it is a translated version of the site.

http://usarmy-collectors.pagesperso-orange.fr/fichiers%20listes%20et%20divers/trousses%20de%20jungle%203.htm

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://usarmy-collectors.pagesperso-orange.fr/fichiers%2520listes%2520et%2520divers/trousses%2520de%2520jungle%25203.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://usarmy-collectors.pagesperso-orange.fr/fichiers%252520listes%252520et%252520divers/trousses%252520de%252520jungle%2525203.htm%26hl%3Den%26noj%3D1

post-104203-0-70309100-1398819383.jpg

post-104203-0-07892500-1398819392.jpg

A friend has one of the Double snap BOYT marked carriers.

At this time I have only seen this on BOYT marked jungle pouches.Have not seen others but they may exist.

Steve1987

Perhaps as supplies diminish the lower snaps can be used to cinch down the pouch to keep contents from falling out?

I should add the pouch I know of is also dated 1943.

Just speculation but maybe these were a first pattern and the lower snaps eliminated for later production and conservation of the snaps..

I have ben to the current BOYT factory but little information is avaiable.They had a fire right after the war and lost all the old records.

Hi everyone,

I have this one in my collection. The first aid jungle pouch was manufactured by:

C.B. MFC. CO. Inc

Tom

Additional photos.

post-108108-0-62658100-1399147884.jpg

post-108108-0-53721100-1399147899.jpg

• 2 months later...
Screamingeagles101

Came across this picture of the 27th marines on Iwo Jima. I noticed what looks to be a jungle first aid pouch. Thought you guys would want to see it.

Both Marines kneeling look to be wearing one.

post-101355-0-04710700-1406237638.jpg

I see these pouches often. I mostly see 45-60's maker dates. 1943 pouches are the most scarce. In my experience with collecting these.