1943 first aid jungle pouch

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, I recently acquired a 1943 jungle first aid pouch. It contained the original bandages in their original packs, dated 1943 as well. Can anyone tell me more about the pouch. Who were they issued to ? I'm guessing marines considering "jungle". Where they issued to only medics or all riflemen ?

Thank and best regards.

It was a Army item really, a common issue item to all Army Ground Combat Troops in the Pacific after a certain point, probably starting in the Spring of 1944, maybe a little earlier. Marines aquired them as well. Oddly it was the Marines during the Vietnam War who were issued it again, the Army did not have it in their inventory.

Here's one being worn by a GI on New Guinea in 1944, 41st Infantry Division I believe, he's a medic, but it was worn by all. Note the postion of the pouch on the back of the pistol belt, this is where it was attached normally, also during the Vietnam War by Marines who got them, on the rear of the belt.

post-34986-0-00645800-1398306165.jpg

The M2 Jungle First Aid Kit started being made in mid 1943 and started to be issued in 1944 around Spring like Patches said. They were issued to Army and Marines in the Pacific theater. Both rifleman and medics(corpsman for Marines) were issued them. From what I've read Marines and Soldiers generally put what they thought they would need in it after being in previous battles. What was supposed to go in it though was Frazers soloution(for athletes foot), Iodine, Insect repellent, Sulfadiazine, Halazone Tablets(Water purification tablets), Bandage(Gauze), Carlisle Dressing, and Atabrine tablets. The previous model before was the M1 Jungle First Aid Kit which was a long roll with multiple pouches that held medical items. It was replaced though by the M2 because it was big and hard to carry around.

The M2 Jungle First Aid Kit started being made in late 1943 and started to be issued in 1944 around Spring like Patches said. They were issued to Army and Marines in the Pacific theater.

I would disagree with this analysis, It was certainly being manufactured in early 1943 with the Bureau of Medicine & Surgery mentioning procuring them as early as June 1943. The marines used them as much as the US Army as the documents in the post about the USMC M-2 medical kits outline starting as early as the Cape Gloucester campaign in late 1943. In the campaigns that followed they were standard for all marine personnel.

http://olive-drab.com/od_medical_kits_ww2_ifak_jungle.php

The M2 Jungle First Aid Kit started being made in mid 1943 and started to be issued in 1944 around Spring like Patches said. They were issued to Army and Marines in the Pacific theater. Both rifleman and medics(corpsman for Marines) were issued them. From what I've read Marines and Soldiers generally put what they thought they would need in it after being in previous battles. What was supposed to go in it though was Frazers soloution(for athletes foot), Iodine, Insect repellent, Sulfadiazine, Halazone Tablets(Water purification tablets), Bandage(Gauze), Carlisle Dressing, and Atabrine tablets. The previous model before was the M1 Jungle First Aid Kit which was a long roll with multiple pouches that held medical items. It was replaced though by the M2 because it was big and hard to carry around.

That's about right, a little earlier maybe than the Spring of 44.

Here's two pages that tell basically the same.

http://olive-drab.com/od_medical_kits_ww2_ifak_jungle.php

http://www.ww2gyrene.org/equipment_M2_first_aid_kit.htm

I noticed in my post that I accidentally said they started being made in late 43 instead of mid 43(I edited my post fixing it). My bad on my part, I didn't even notice that. Though I have not seen a picture of Marines or Soldiers using the Jungle First Aid Pouch on Cape Gloucester(not saying it's not a possibility, I just haven't seen a picture of them being used). Do you possibly know were the documents can be found? I would be cool to read them.

I would disagree with this analysis, It was certainly being manufactured in early 1943 with the Bureau of Medicine & Surgery mentioning procuring them as early as June 1943. The marines used them as much as the US Army as the documents in the post about the USMC M-2 medical kits outline starting as early as the Cape Gloucester campaign in late 1943. In the campaigns that followed they were standard for all marine personnel.

With respect dustin, procurment, QMC or otherwise and Troop Issuance are differant matters, it would seem their General issuance was not even done for the Marshall Campaign and the Bismarck Archipelgo Campaign to any great degree if at all.

Great info! Were these used by marines landing on Iwo Jima?

As knd said, it was also worn by both GIs and Marines on Okinawa.

GIs of I believe either the 7th Inf Div or the 96th Inf Div on Okinawa.

post-34986-0-95632200-1398310523.jpg

For some reason I am unable to post a link but go to page 2 on this forum and read some of the docs posted under M-2 JUNGLE MED KIT (USMC)

Very interesting. I stand corrected(for some reason I forgot all about that thread, it's a very interesting one to!!!). Now I have to find a picture of them being used.

Yeah but this is an After Action Report, and gives critques and recommondations, note it states "All Members of a Patrol Should Be Equipt The Type of Jungle Medical Kit that Attaches to the Belt", my feeling is that this was a recommondation for actual procument for issue of the type, not that it was already issued and Marines didn't bother to wear it. The first document, could it mean it was issued towards the end of the New Britain Campaign? like say in March-April?

Also note #16 for Hobnail Boots, don't think the USMC issued Hobnail Boots after the New Britain Campaign, Jungle First Aid kits Yes, Hobnail Boots....... Don't think so.

It says "When used by the Fifth Marines on Cape Gloucester" in one document.

The other document suggests that only some were using the kits and in this recommendation it states that "all" should be wearing one

It says "When used by the Fifth Marines on Cape Gloucester" in one document.

The other document suggests that only some were using the kits and in this recommendation it states that "all" should be wearing one

Right, I just edited my above quote, do you know when they got them?

And here we have it!

post-34986-0-74012100-1398312591.jpg

caption states near Talasea, fighting in this area was in early March, so, we can gather they had them by early March, late February.

Good deal! looking at the facts, the BuMed was discussing requisitioning them as early as June 1943, the photo by patches places their use at least by March 1944 and the doc on operations from Jan-18 Feb 1944 imply their use but recommends that all personnel use them. If I were to speculate on their use some went ashore in December 1943 with some marines.

a quick Google search provided a possible kit with the BAR man on the cape 5th Marines,left in between right arm and canteen.

post-56-0-33499400-1398313239.jpg

I saw that picture but wasnt sure it that was a jungle first aid kit or not. It might be. The one that patches posted is one for sure(I have never seen that photo before).