Unknown "Douglas AAF" patch

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

Just picked this patch up. It doesn't look WW2, but it appears to have "AAF" after Douglas. There was a Douglass AAF base in Arizona during WW2 though.

Can anyone ID this guy and give a time period for it?

Thanks,

Steve

9855998_orig.jpg

1816846_orig.jpg

Just found this which might explain the dual snake heads: "The Army activated the former Douglas Air Field on May 28, 1942, as a twin-engine advanced flying school for training bomber pilots. It was also used to train soldiers as post mechanics. Douglas Army Air Field was an advanced flying training school where aviation cadets received their pilot wings and commissions as second lieutenants or appointments as flight officers in the Army Air Force. The base came under the command of 83rd Flying Training Wing (Advanced Twin-Engine), Army Air Forces Western Flying Training Command, headquartered at Santa Ana, California. Aircraft assigned to the base were North American BT-14 Yales, North American AT-6 Texans, Beech UC-78 Bobcats, Curtiss-Wright AT-9 Fledglings, Cessna AT-17 Bobcats, and North American B-25 Mitchells."

I agree with 48MMS ... super cool looking patch!

Dale

".... as a twin-engine advanced flying school for training bomber pilots." That would explain the bomb in the center. And AAF stood for Army Air Field, I believe.

Looks WW2 era to me.

Dale

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

as a friend from boston would say, "wicked awesome" i would agree WWII , probably later in the war.

5thwingmarty

I have several books on DAAF but none of them have this patch shown in them. My books are from '43 and '44 and none show any kind of insignia for the field.

ocsfollowme

Not to say you are not correct 5thwingmarty. At least two people had the patch, that is all I know. Could have been just a few unauthorized officers that had them made up or something to wear. I do not know.

5thwingmarty

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply it wasn't a patch from Douglas AAF. Just saying I couldn't find a period photo in the books I have from 43 and 44. If anyone has a book from 45 they might find a photo with the patch shown, or a rendering of the patch. My books all just show Cessna Bobcats for the trainers. At some point they started flying B-25's there as well so maybe that was when the patch was developed.

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

If I understand the thread so far the question is, is it an SSI or what?. I have one in my collection and it is a large one, so I say it is a Flight Jacket Patch, the type that would be worn on an A2 jacket.

• 1 month later...
ocsfollowme

Just picked this up on eBay this last week for $49. Couldn't believe I won it for that and was the only bidder--listed in WW2 patches as "unknown squadron." This one is missing the bottom tab portion and it's hard to tell if one was ever attached to it. It's in mint condition though.

Front

7522983_orig.jpg

Back

9002602_orig.jpg

manayunkman

An education can make all the difference.

You were the only one who knew what it was.

Good score.

• 2 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

So I just picked up another one on ebay yesterday for $22. Maybe they may not be that rare after all.

$_12.JPG

• 3 months later...

Picked up another one. It is almost impossible to find a perfect one. 50% of them so far have the white eyes and white part filled in on the bomb. Also, about 30% of them have error stitching on them as well. There are two little black specks above the heads too, and about 50% have at least one. I have seen about 8 in person or online so far.

post-122868-0-60531900-1412988732.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was told years ago that Douglas Airfield during WW2 was an Advanced Flight School for two engine bombers.The guys trained there so they could fly B-25 Mitchells or 26 Marauders.I have owned many of these over the years and have always thought the twin snakeheads represented the twin engines on the bombers.I love insignia with great snakes on them so its always been a favorite of mine.Scotty

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...