Marston Matting question

Peter Graham

Peter Graham

I've just returned from a trip to Normandy with an original section of WW2 era Marston matting cable tied to the roof rack of the car. The stuff is everywhere in Normandy, being used for many purposes. I've always wanted a section to use as a sand ladder for my off roader and also for the historic connection. It's totally sound but rather rusty and I'd like to restore it. My question is, was the matting originally painted or delivered in bare metal ? I've googled lots of photos but all I've found are modern pics of rusty stuff or B&W WW2 photos where it's impossible to tell if they were painted or not. Hope someone can help. Regards,

Pete

Painted. Here is a website that has pictures of WW2 Marsden Mat as it looks today. There is also a picture of some that is stockpiled. They are definitely painted. However, these are in the Pacific. Mat made for the ETO may have had a different finish. To be absolutely sure, track down the MilSpec. It will not only tell you for sure, it will give you a MilSpec color code, which you can match.

http://myphilippinelife.com/the-jeepney-and-the-marsden-mat-world-war-ii-legacies-in-iloilo/

Good Luck.

5thwingmarty

I have a small section of PSP. It looks like it was painted silver on the top but it is mostly surface rusted now. The back is all surface rust at this point. No guarantees what the original finishes were though.

Peter Graham

It is heavy. I was surprised how much effort it took to get one section onto the roof of my Land Rover. So painted it is. Thanks folks. Time to get the wire brush and OD paint out.