A little Map called IWO.....

doyler

I believe her dad was a Navel Officer on one of the Attack Transports at Iwo Jima, but I can't recall what ship he was on.

If you ever decide to move it there is only one person you need to email! :)

Glad to know you have it in your collection!! Beautiful!

LF

I think thats correct.I do know the Naval Conection also is correct.I asked for a letter but never got it.I think her husband shipped it or a son.I forget.If I have the address I may write and ask for details and hope to get a reply.They were very great to deal with.

Kurt Barickman

Ron,

Very nice example of a very specialized Iwo Jima map. Nice if you get the details from the family or just PM me his name and I will see what I can find! Thanks for posting.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Now that is one awesome piece that would look fantastic on the wall of a moto room!!

That's great doyler! Where do you find this stuff?

Thanks Terry

Actually this was a unsold item on ebay.I contacted the seller and as Crap-Game would say...We made a deal..deal. ;):D

• 4 weeks later...
Fixbayonets!

I know a forum member has one. I believe it is still on the original board as well. I am NOT sure what the base material around the island was that formed the water or if it was just painted on the board. Could have been all one piece and curious why this one was cut off around in just the shape of the island. Would have been nice if the water was the same material they could have just cut the item in a large square and shipped it back. It was sent to me this way and rolled up in padding which did a fair job of protecting it. Thanks to everyone who has looked and commented.

Doyler,

The water is also made of rubber, the water & the island is made of one big piece of rubber. There is also a compass rose and range scale in the water, bottom left corner. The entire map on the board measures 40 inches X 70 inches.

Rob

post-168-0-18923100-1402861113.jpg

• 1 year later...
General Apathy

post-344-0-97758500-1462343587.jpg

Hi Ron & Rob ( fixbayonets) thanks for showing us you interesting and highly unusual maps, here's an advert from the company that manufactured them.

I am adding the advert in two parts so that the text in the second post will be larger for reading, above is the top part of the advert.

Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-0-63209200-1462344024.jpg

Hi Ron & Rob, here's the lower section of the advert, hope you enjoy the connection to your maps.

Lewis

Ken

Thanks for adding this to the topic and providing the rest of the story on rubber model maps

• 1 year later...