A little Map called IWO.....

doyler

Purchased this from the son of Navy officer.This is one of the t maps made for the study and or the Invasion of Iwo Jima.I know of one other displayed here on the forum and have seen a handful over the years for sale.

The map is a foam rubber base and is fairly large.Area are colored accordingly.Roads,airfields etc are shown.

These maps are often mounted om a board but this one had been removed I assume to be shipped home.There is a few areas of missing material/paint.

post-342-0-94899000-1398223983.jpg

Ron,

Another great find of yours. I'm continually amazed on what you post here.

Regards,

Johnb

Thanks John

Its been stored away for a couple years.Wish it was still on its original board.

Should have gotten it out and consigned it to the big Pacific Auction they had a year ago..

strawberry 9

I've seen a couple of these before. Very cool! Wasn't there originally water surrounding the land made of the same material?

I know a forum member has one. I believe it is still on the original board as well. I am NOT sure what the base material around the island was that formed the water or if it was just painted on the board. Could have been all one piece and curious why this one was cut off around in just the shape of the island. Would have been nice if the water was the same material they could have just cut the item in a large square and shipped it back. It was sent to me this way and rolled up in padding which did a fair job of protecting it. Thanks to everyone who has looked and commented.

suwanneetrader

Ron: I've never seen this, it is really great. About a year ago I went to a yard sale and the man brought out a very large framed map of the island that was very detailed and he wanted $1,000.00 for it said it was a bring back but when I looked at it there was a printing date well after the war (my memory is poor but I think it was in the 60's) I did not say anything but it was not "a bring back". Did they print any maps for landing crafts or other non-commanding officers, that a regular GI might have brought home? Richard

Richard, I have seen several different maps of various sizes some were very rudimentary and not much detail other than a shape of the island and few of the areas where the landing would occur. I recently saw one framed and hanging in a local VFW that was marked secret and was in full color. It had been folded and was noted as donated buy a veteran with his name attached to it on the frame.

Great, never seen this before. Thank`s for posting.

Thanks for looking.

There are others out there.Dont know how many

There was an auction last year and many items related to Iwo....prices were insane and the collection didnt have one of these.

Hi Ron,

That is a neat map. I have seen these before. It's no wonder you got it from a Navy officer, I am sure the Marines left these on the ship once they went ashore.

Here is a photo and I think your map, or one like it is hanging up to the left of the paper maps.

Very cool to see that map.

Dennis

post-2843-0-95244400-1398719600.jpg

Here is the one that was on Ebay a few years ago that I posted on my Blog:

http://marinesinforestgreen.blogspot.com/2012/12/iwo-jima-invasion-rubber-map-1945.html

Awesome find, but I just wouldn't anyplace to put it if I had one!

LF

Thats my map. :D Look at the missing material on the Suribachi end of the island.The seller stated his father was a Naval officer and brought it home.They were selling the estate as I recall.It went unsold and we made a deal.

Hey Ron,

Just ran across this. This is VERY cool. It looks as though you could easily have this mounted and framed to protect it.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. It's really cool to see this in color.

Hey Ron,

Just ran across this. This is VERY cool. It looks as though you could easily have this mounted and framed to protect it.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. It's really cool to see this in color.

Thanks Jim

Its a massive piece and Its quite heavy believe it or not.Cant imagine its weight when it was originally mounted.

Thanks for looking.

RD

I believe her dad was a Navel Officer on one of the Attack Transports at Iwo Jima, but I can't recall what ship he was on.

If you ever decide to move it there is only one person you need to email! :)

Glad to know you have it in your collection!! Beautiful!

LF

firefighter

That is really cool.I think they used something like that in the movie The Sands Of Iwo Jima.The detail is pretty interesting.Looks like they even included fuel storage tank farm.