can't post photobucket pics now?

OK amist all the angst and agony regarding lost pictures and pages, I hereby volunteer to help the moderators edit and salvage current, and if possible, recover lost pages.

My reasons for this offer are multiple

1. I'll learn the new system,
  2. Maybe even writing a tutorial for the newbies, also
  3. The Forum has been a wealth of knowledge, and
  4. There is too much research that simply cannot be lost, plus
  5. Its just the right thing to do.

Forum Moderators, the call is up to you. There are too few of you trying to do so much in too little time. Consider this a token payment for all the help you all have been.

Tom

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been biting my tongue on this one far too long...

This policy change is not debatable. This is not a corporation, it is a privately owned forum, and the ownership has spoken. We've asked for a long time to post directly, but very few seemed to hear our pleas. Similar to how people can't seem to find the pre-existing member topic to place feedback in, or place their single new find item in the appropriate sub-forum aside from the 'New Finds' and leave it on the mods to move and merge and edit appropriately. Donating member or not, it's not an excuse. We don't get paid to moderate this place, we do it on our own time and often developing frictions and/or those who dislike us simply because of that fact. It is an immense amount of work to update the topics, I spent 2.5 hours the other day updating just 3 of them.

We've stated it countless times, and allow me to reiterate...we have very little control over the software and programs of the forum. To say you're no longer going to take the time to resize your photo (literally takes 20 seconds in MS Paint) because we've inconvenienced you is a rather selfish way of going about business. Seems like a 'I'm going to take my toys and play elsewhere' approach.

It's not my intent to step on toes or hurt feelings by stating the above, but that said, I won't apologize if I did, either.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I've posted photos via Photobucket of several interesting prototype PASGT helmets that are now no longer showing due to the switch. As an example, I started a thread about a Phase 2 Prototype PASGT helmet which was the 1st link displayed on Google when you searched "prototype PASGT". Individuals interested in these helmets would have been directed to this site before anything else, would have seen an extremely informative discussion of these helmets, and also would see some nice pictures of the helmet being discussed. Now those individuals won't see any pictures at all. These threads are now mostly useless due to forum policy/actions, and NOT due to me disabling, deleting, or moving these pictures in my Photobucket account. Seems like there is something of a contradiction in stating that third-party image hosting leads to missing photos, when it is obvious that actions of the forum itself can cause just as many useless threads.

I used Photobucket in the past because it was far more flexible and allowed much higher quality images. The forum's hosting was very limited and cumbersome if you tried to post more than 2 or 3 pictures, necessitating the use of multiple reply posts to get all of the wanted pictures into the thread. 250kb of allowed uploadable image data is a welcome change to the original policy, and I wish this option had been available sooner. 150kb was much too small to allow multiple, high quality photos to supplement discussions. Using the forum hosting can indeed simplify the process, it's just a shame so many discussions that had perfectly fine, completely intact, high-quality images from third-party image hosting are now missing their images.

I look forward to seeing many of the great informative threads that have now had their pictures disabled restored to their former glory. I also hope forum software upgrades/changes in the future don't cause unwanted changes to the USMF hosted image data.

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2018.gif

donation2017.gif

There are multiple members here who clear and wipe and delete their photobucket albums regularly, and we never beat them up about it, or restrict their posting abilities, or anything. Sure, we could start banning members who delete their photo albums and cause dead links but....we're not a tyranny

BTW...have any of you considered what should happen if photo bucket ceases to exist one day? It's never been the most reliable site out there to begin with, what if it sells out and new ownership wipes the slate completely clean? Then we'd be further in the hole, with absolutely no way to restore the missing images to topics

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I've been biting my tongue on this one far too long...

This policy change is not debatable. This is not a corporation, it is a privately owned forum, and the ownership has spoken. We've asked for a long time to post directly, but very few seemed to hear our pleas. Similar to how people can't seem to find the pre-existing member topic to place feedback in, or place their single new find item in the appropriate sub-forum aside from the 'New Finds' and leave it on the mods to move and merge and edit appropriately. Donating member or not, it's not an excuse. We don't get paid to moderate this place, we do it on our own time and often developing frictions and/or those who dislike us simply because of that fact. It is an immense amount of work to update the topics, I spent 2.5 hours the other day updating just 3 of them.

We've stated it countless times, and allow me to reiterate...we have very little control over the software and programs of the forum. To say you're no longer going to take the time to resize your photo (literally takes 20 seconds in MS Paint) because we've inconvenienced you is a rather selfish way of going about business. Seems like a 'I'm going to take my toys and play elsewhere' approach.

It's not my intent to step on toes or hurt feelings by stating the above, but that said, I won't apologize if I did, either.

While what you are saying may be true, I think what others are saying is that by donating money, time and knowledge they have become "customers" of the forum. Should the "ownership" choose to ignore the needs of those "customers", they can and often do go elsewhere. As for being selfish, its a two way street as much time and effort went into the original Photobucket or other third party sites and due to the need of the "ownership" to keep those images, the time and effort was wasted whilst the "ownership" still collected the donations , also quite selfish IMO. So, while it may be policy or non-reversible, we don't have to agree on it nor do we need to change anything on our end should we choose not to. Its not a mutiny,its just a difference of opinion. where before people were content, now some are not. Clearly if service and good will were the intent, a poll would have been conducted and opinions could have been expressed prior to the change. Since as you said, its privately owned, the owners determined that the opinions of the customers didn't matter and they made an executive decision. So, while I don't want to offend or hurt feelings, I will not apologize either, the bottom line is you (admin and mods) made the mess and now it needs to be cleaned. If you don't get paid, and its too time consuming then don't do it, just restore the old methods. If you are doing it out of a sense of loyalty and duty, I commend you but don't spout off about how much time it takes you as you made the mess in the first place. I see many members have offered to help and that is good, maybe they can alleviate some of the burden you have created for yourselves. As for me, I respect your right to initiate the change, and I hope that you can respect my right to not agree with it. Only time will tell on the latter. Scott

donation2013.gif

Just checked all my topics too ...... all photos are gone ..... good job, USMF!

I did not delete any photos from Photobucket.

And no, I do not plan to resize them and upload them.

Sorry but my time is too limited for that.

If you can restore it, please do so.

If not ..... too bad.

I don't think you realize how much information will be lost this way ..... and maybe you will lose some members as well.

Sad, because this used to be such a great forum ....

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

we're not a tyranny

Yep... You cannot send internet links through the PM message system, my own uploaded photos are not my property any longer, I do not have my right to delete my posts etc etc. Whats your definition of a tyranny?

Check out my US WW2 selling page: http://www.famousfourth.com

Whats your definition of a tyranny?

The definition of tyranny is a cruel and unreasonable form of government or rule. The moderators are not being cruel and unreasonable. It has been asked for several years for people to STOP using outside photo hosting sites. YOU decided not to listen to their request so YOU are now upset at this rule. If YOU had listened to their simple request in the beginning, then we would not be having this discussion right now.

To now say things like “I refuse” or “I won’t be selling items any more” or “my time is too limited to resize” is basically like a two year old digging in his heels and refusing to do what is asked. There are far too many members on here to please everyone. It would have done no good to have a poll about the change. It had already been discussed ad nauseam.

If someone leaves the forum because of this rule, then that is certainly their right. However, in doing so, they would be leaving a great forum with a great wealth of knowledge because of a simple request that they decided not to follow. Either decide to upload to the forum or don’t upload. Either offer to help the moderators or don’t help. It is time to move on.

...Kat

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

I mainly visit the forum at work, which blocks ALL photo hosting sites. So guess what? All your posts were ALREADY worthless to me.

Yep...you're not the only one. That's why I've been asking people to use the forum's photo hosting services anytime this came up since 2007...

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

The definition of tyranny is a cruel and unreasonable form of government or rule. The moderators are not being cruel and unreasonable. It has been asked for several years for people to STOP using outside photo hosting sites. YOU decided not to listen to their request so YOU are now upset at this rule. If YOU had listened to their simple request in the beginning, then we would not be having this discussion right now.

To now say things like “I refuse” or “I won’t be selling items any more” or “my time is too limited to resize” is basically like a two year old digging in his heels and refusing to do what is asked. There are far too many members on here to please everyone. It would have done no good to have a poll about the change. It had already been discussed ad nauseam.

If someone leaves the forum because of this rule, then that is certainly their right. However, in doing so, they would be leaving a great forum with a great wealth of knowledge because of a simple request that they decided not to follow. Either decide to upload to the forum or don’t upload. Either offer to help the moderators or don’t help. It is time to move on.

...Kat

You don't understand. MY photos are MINE and MINE only. I'am using YOUR forum, but thats only a tool. If I wish to delete the pictures, I'am entitled to do so. That right has taken from me when I use the USMF server.

Secondly, why can't I send a link to a fellow USMF user via the PM system? Thats annoying in the first place and definately tyranny because its cruel and unreasonable as you wrote in your post....

Secondly, why can't I send a link to a fellow USMF user via the PM system? Thats annoying in the first place and definately tyranny because its cruel and unreasonable as you wrote in your post....

Seems like that's a personal problem. I have no problem sending links and I have no problems receiving links from members via PM. Strangely, the largest number of links I receive involve delays in shipping from overseas sellers...

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

You don't understand. MY photos are MINE and MINE only. I'am using YOUR forum, but thats only a tool. If I wish to delete the pictures, I'am entitled to do so. That right has taken from me when I use the USMF server.

That right was not taken away from you when you use the USMF server. All of your pictures are listed under your profile.

Second, annoying is different from being cruel and unreasonable. You may be annoyed but they are NOT being cruel and unreasonable. They tried to ask all of you to stop using outside photo sites and you refused.

I counter your post with the fact that this attitude is annoying. I think many of you are being cruel and unreasonable. It is time to move on.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

Seems like that's a personal problem. I have no problem sending links and I have no problems receiving links from members via PM. Strangely, the largest number of links I receive involve delays in shipping from overseas sellers...

Some time ago I recieved a message from some guy who asked me to check out a new WW2 forum. The name and link were censored by USMF and reduced to a bunch of ********************* markings. Thats tyranny in my dictionary...

And delays in shipping has nothing to do with this topic or my opinions written here. As a matter of fact, your own government controlled USPS is the slowest shipper in the world...

About the reply that I can control my uploaded images in my control panel: When I delete a image there, is it gone forever? Or can a moderator and/or admin overwrite my command?

This discussion will continue to go round and round without anything new being accomplished outside of arguments. So, let me be clear:

1) This is a decision that has been years in the making after repeated requests to the membership to stop using hosted links. We tried to make this easy, we tried to not be heavy handed but, our requests were not enough so, we had to do something more drastic.

2) There appear to only be a few people who are really bothered by this. The other 99.999% seem to be on board.

3) You stop owning photo's the moment you post them on the Internet. You can always watermark them if you don't want them reused.

4) Those who have offered to help, your offer is appreciated and has not gone unnoticed.

Since everyone has had ample opportunity to say what was on their mind and it appears that we're headed into a circle of repeated posts, this discussion is now being closed. Thanks to all who participated. :)

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."