can't post photobucket pics now?

I should add a point of caution with regards to this. I am wondering what the forum members are considering in terms of potential for legal action from copyright owners of images that are posted to the forum. There is a bit of a slippery slope that occurs when someone links an image from the source location (using IMG tags) and usually, it isn't worth the effort for them to pursue the location where the image is being re-purposed. However, performing screen grabs (making a copy) and reposting/re-hosting it to this forum COULD leave the USMF open to legal action.

Has this been considered?

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add a point of caution with regards to this. I am wondering what the forum members are considering in terms of potential for legal action from copyright owners of images that are posted to the forum. There is a bit of a slippery slope that occurs when someone links an image from the source location (using IMG tags) and usually, it isn't worth the effort for them to pursue the location where the image is being re-purposed. However, performing screen grabs (making a copy) and reposting/re-hosting it to this forum COULD leave the USMF open to legal action.

This discussion has taken place here before (several times). Bob Hudson is the best to respond, but here are links to previous discussions:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/121642-property-and-use-of-ebay-pictures/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/74021-lifting-photos-from-other-sources-to-post-here/

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I use a digital FUJI camera and it came with a photo program.Im not a whiz on the computor and just mention jpeg or pixles and Im lost :blush:

This said I have been able to post directly from the program I have. Its fairly straight forward.Most trouble I have is when I go to aother forum nd have to figure out how to post there.There was a initial learning curve as I had a Sony Mavica(?) prior to the FUJI.Also in my photo file They Sony posted pics seperately and now I have each batch in a group file and then have to open it to see them individually.

I dont often use the full functions(or know how) of the picture program and just the othe day found how to resize "batch" pictures.Often I have 30 plus photos in a new file and it was time consuming to resize each one..one by one.Now I click and drag to high light the group and click "batch resize" and its a done deal.

I was researching old topics today looking foe USN dungarees and the amount of photos not show was huge.I finally just quit looking and posted my question in a existing topic.

I guess old dogs can learn new tricks ;):lol:

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

This discussion has taken place here before (several times). Bob Hudson is the best to respond, but here are links to previous discussions:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/121642-property-and-use-of-ebay-pictures/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/74021-lifting-photos-from-other-sources-to-post-here/

I recall something about one time use or not used in a commercial theme it was fine.I know we should give credit as well.I have had pictures from here used on forums and not recieved credit or been asked so I believe it falls under the one time or use(if thats the correct term)

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I don't work for TechSmith, but I use SnagIt many times throughout the day. It can not only give you great screenshots, but it can do batch resizing, as well as compression for image sizing. Even though I have Photoshop, I rely on SnagIt for doing 90% of the images I use on the forum. And the cost is less than most militaria out there. (Yes, I am well aware that people would rather complain about spending $49 on a piece of software and memorialize their former photobucket accounts...but then not hesitate to go out and drop far more buying a trinket for the collection, but we continually run into the same age-old complaints about buying reference books...why buy tools when you can throw money to the wind??? But I digress....)

Anyway, here's a link: http://shop.techsmith.com/store/techsm/pd/productID.289200200

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I support the decision to disallow off site hosting. Since the forums inception it has been continuously!! requested to post pictures directly to this hosting over and over again. I recall a few topics that were still being discussed and the poster already removed their images from Photobucket, they got the initial answer they wanted and off the pic went and anyone else reading the topic had no idea what was being discussed. Now it has come to a point 6 years later the forum is plagued, hundreds, with missing photos. I suggest going through the reference sections and one will find oodles of NO IMAGE in a grey box and this is before the new initiative. This is not a selfish act by the Admin here to make it all about me me but rather an attempt to archive real information. Granted some people do keep their images on off site hosting but that is rare. Everyone needs to understand that this is an attempt to make the forum better.

Below is the position of the Administration of the USMF:

This forum operates under the principles of the Fair Use doctrine of US Copyright laws and in fact we do have the right to use portions of copyrighted works for educational purposes: Fair Use does not require permission (in part because many copyright holders try to pretend Fair Use Doctrine doesn't exist). We will credit the copyright holder when notified, but we will not delete anything unless it is determined that it's use goes beyond Fair Use, but simply using one image or quote from from an article, or small portions from larger works is allowed for educational and research purposes, which is the overall purpose of this forum.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

I've been following this discussion with interest,and have these observations to share so far.

Doyler has it right;even if one is "unschooled" about how to handle digital images,there is a wealth of info online(and free photo adjusting software) about this subject.Just "Google" the subject and go from there.Like anything else,it requires a little time and practice.

I put a "Copyright" mark on my images mainly so that it will be seen wherever the photos show up.I've seen my images pop up in some unexpected places so I thought I would start using the mark.

Bugme is correct,"Fair use" implies using an image,or some images,for the purpose of enhancing a discussion,and should be used in moderation,and not for financial gain.

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

The only problem I see is if someone wants to post photos of a collection. I have just re-shot all of my patches, cropped them and will upload them to facebook. I just don't have the time to resize them all down to 250kb, so I will not be able to share them here.

Otherwise, I have no problem with the change. I belong to another militaria forum and it seems every photo I want to see has a broken link.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Hi, as a past PhotoBucket user in my posts, I don't have any issues with the Forums policy switch. Now the big question,and no I didn't get the memo (LOL!) is there a new Tutorial on using the Forums server for uploading images- formatting, size, color density, &c.? I've been perusing the site but have successfully missed any updates regarding this.

Thanks,

Tom

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I Just looked at some past and current threads and 100% of my pictures (or anyone else's using a hosting site) are dead now, that makes those threads completely useless. I thought the move to uploading pictures was for this problem NOT to happen. So many good reference threads were killed by doing this, it is really sad. I understand the move to upload files but why kill every single thread that was made before May 2014. There was a wealth of information that just got killed overnight.

I Just looked at some past and current threads and 100% of my pictures (or anyone else's using a hosting site) are dead now, that makes those threads completely useless. I thought the move to uploading pictures was for this problem NOT to happen. So many good reference threads were killed by doing this, it is really sad. I understand the move to upload files but why kill every single thread that was made before May 2014. There was a wealth of information that just got killed overnight.

And this was my point...

not to complain or gather sorrow for myself.

I don't care anymore about my past threads and I refuse to re-edit all the photos and repost them.

I totally understand the policy change, and it does make sense.

What to me doesn't make sense is the disabling of these older links.

To me, this is a disrespect to those who have contributed photos, information, and in many cases MONEY to the forum.

Whoever made the physical change to the code of the forum: Do you not understand how, or are you simply unable to block new posts with image links but allow old threads to survive?

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Look at this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62995-some-of-my-wwii-naval-aviator-flight-helmets/

5 years in the making and all pics gone. There are 30 pages worth of pics and they are all gone. The ones I have hosted on Photobucket are all more than 250k and I would need to resize every single one of them to post them again. We are talking about thousands of pictures here. I guess it will just stay dead.... That is actually a big let down. It was a big reference on naval flight helmets and it is now completely dead.....

Look at this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62995-some-of-my-wwii-naval-aviator-flight-helmets/

5 years in the making and all pics gone. There are 30 pages worth of pics and they are all gone. The ones I have hosted on Photobucket are all more than 250k and I would need to resize every single one of them to post them again. We are talking about thousands of pictures here. I guess it will just stay dead.... That is actually a big let down. It was a big reference on naval flight helmets and it is now completely dead.....

We're working on restoring photos to every affected thread, but it won't happen over night.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

We're working on restoring photos to every affected thread, but it won't happen over night.

Thanks. I am curious, how do you guys go about fixing threads? Is that through code or are you editing every picture individually?

Thanks. I am curious, how do you guys go about fixing threads? Is that through code or are you editing every picture individually?

We do it one by one, each photo at a time. It's slow but it works and so far several threads have been restored.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

We have been asking for a long time for members to stop using outside photo hosting sources.

The Admins and Moderators are going through and having to hand edit each photo that is gone. Do you actually think we want to do this?

There was no way to make this change easy, or to keep what was posted already. The choice was to block all the outside hosted photos or don't block.

If you don't want your thread restored, fine, just tell us and we will save a lot of time and just delete the threads with these broken links.

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifpost-2-0-82042400-1545944020.gifdonation2020.gif

There was no way to make this change easy, or to keep what was posted already. The choice was to block all the outside hosted photos or don't block.

Why not disallow new posts including term: [img.]photobucket[/img.] ? (periods added so link doesn't work)

or simply disallow the image link button in the post?

I guess people would still be able to manually link that way...

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

We have been asking for a long time for members to stop using outside photo hosting sources.

The Admins and Moderators are going through and having to hand edit each photo that is gone. Do you actually think we want to do this?

If you don't want your thread restored, fine, just tell us and we will save a lot of time and just delete the threads with these broken links.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate all you guys are doing. If there is a way to save the threads that were affected please go ahead. It just seems like the decision to disable all the hosted links from the beginning of time is a bit drastic given the fact that the upload option was not the most sturdy at the beginning.

If I upload a photo via the USMF upload system, who is the legal owner of the picture then? I do not know the US law in this, because I live overseas. Second question, how does this work in the sale section? I want my pictures deleted after the item has been sold. Can I still use photobucket there, because I'd like to be in control of my pictures there.

Thanks for your answers.

Bob

Check out my US WW2 selling page: http://www.famousfourth.com

For Sale threads are one of the main reasons that we have stopped the use of Photobucket. Members would sell something and then delete the photo right away. Then the other member, who bought the item, would not be happy when they received the item, and would go back to double check the photos and they were gone. These would usually escalate until the ADMIN team had to get involved with "he said she said" type debates. Usually both parties were not happy with the results.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work getting the dead images back up. Is there anything other members can do to assist the admin staff to take some of the load off?

Tim

donation2015.gif

A friendly reminder that my images and material posted here are not to be considered "fair use" or "public domain". If you want to legally use my material outside this forum, for any purpose, my express written permission is requested and required beforehand.

Thank you.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work getting the dead images back up. Is there anything other members can do to assist the admin staff to take some of the load off?

Tim

Tim,

Sounds like a good idea. I would be happy to help the admins as well.

...Kat

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif