can't post photobucket pics now?

Why does it say that I can't post photobucket photos now?

It says I am linking to something not allowed by the administrator.

All my photos are on photobucket... this site does not allow a big enough image size to show detail.

When did this happen? The past day or two? I have ALWAYS used photobucket, and that's why I pay to be a premium member on their site.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how will you guys allow me to post high quality photos on this site?????

this is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

You should have gotten the informational email from the Administration detailing the reason for this. We have moved the max photo from 150K to 250K so you can attach larger sized photos. We have stopped the use of outside photo hosting for many reasons but mostly because a thread with an out sourced photo becomes useless when the poster removes the photo's from places like Photobucket.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I didn't receive the email either, and have always previously used photobucket when posting pictures to the forum.

Collecting WWII and pre-war Air Corps items-Unit Histories,Uniforms,Medals and Groupings.

*Seeking Pre-WWII Air Corps Officers and Enlisted Dress Uniform items!*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I received the email and understand the reasoning. It's a shame for those with stable offsite accounts, the quality of linked photos is so much better. But it's still a nice improvement to the forum and you gotta do what you gotta do!

Always searching for items from 83rd Div (WWII), 3rd Div (Korea), and anything related to the Civil War in Arkansas or Missouri! Will buy or trade!

In memory of Pvt Roland L. Gates, Co G, 2nd Bn, 15th Inf, 3rd Division. KIA 15 June 1953 defending Outpost Harry.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Why does it say that I can't post photobucket photos now?

It says I am linking to something not allowed by the administrator.

All my photos are on photobucket... this site does not allow a big enough image size to show detail.

When did this happen? The past day or two? I have ALWAYS used photobucket, and that's why I pay to be a premium member on their site.

-Brian

I didn't receive the email either, and have always previously used photobucket when posting pictures to the forum.

The emails went to every member the system allows emails to be sent to. However if you have the 'receive emails from the administrator' option unchecked/disabled then the system skips you.

This is a move to make it easier for members to post on the forum by increasing the upload limit, but also to preserve threads from broken links caused by off-site hosting.

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I received the email and to be honest, couldn't be happier with this decision as it was extremely disappointing to view a thread with missing photos. The real sad part being the reference section, what good is the reference section if the photos disapear?

I know Dave for one, has posted a very good tutorial about photos, sizing and uploading them to the USMF.

Seeking anything attributed to General Clifford Bluemel

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Still...

250K does not allow for posting of the high resolution images many members need and want to examine real vs. fake... true condition... etc.

either the picture will be good quality and tiny... or larger with crappy quality.

I can see requiring this for sales threads and reference threads... but why all threads??

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

If you follow a few simple steps, your uploaded photos can be just as good as anything you posted to photobucket. Photobucket images are often very large, but show lots of junk instead of adding detail about the artifact. We recommend posting photos that are no larger than 800 pixels in any one direction: but you need to crop the junk from around your photos - we've seen far too many where 90% of the image area shows nothing but the bedspread or carpet that was used as a background for the item being photographed. After cropping and resizing, save it as JPEG MEDIUM quality - 30-50 on a scale of 100.

I would add that there is no such thing as a "stable" outside image host: the forum is full of examples of that. If the host itseld didn't shut down, then the accont holder pulled their photos or renamed them or otherwise did something that has left far too many threads with bad links.

We believe strongly in the power of images to enhance discussion amongst collectors. This is one of the only militaria forums that lets non-members see the uploaded photos and we have provided a very generous allotment for photos uploads to each post.

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

So is it 250K per post? It still says 150K so since no one got the email how would you know?

and a medium quality JPG still loses quite a bit of quality from a full size image.

I understand about cropping images... that's why I always do.

The stability of the image link should be on the postee IMO. I pay extra to have photobucket pro so my links don't break, and I never delete images from photobucket. Also there are people who have their own website who can host their own high quality photos.

To me, this is "dumbing it down" to the lowest common denominator because some people can't keep their links from going dead.

-Brian

EDIT: now I'm more than a little peeved as EVERY SINGLE THREAD I HAVE EVER MADE now has dead photo links since you have disallowed linking to photobucket. Am I supposed to go back in and resave every single photo I have ever posted and re-add them to the threads?????

Wouldn't it be easier to just disallow new posts from having photobucket links?

Who decided this was a good idea?

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Cheese, did you see my last comment?

EVERY THREAD I have ever made now has no pictures... even from a week ago.

So I guess I've been wasting my time since joining?

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Still...

250K does not allow for posting of the high resolution images many members need and want to examine real vs. fake... true condition... etc.]

Not true at all. All of these photos TOGETHER are less than 250kb - they are more like 50kb each. You can see th actual sizes of each below:

egas.jpg

egaoff.jpg

1900front.jpg

1900back.jpg

sizes.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

One thing that is important is to not use busy backgrounds: it takes more data to compress a busy background than it does say, a plain white one. These two average about 70kb each even though they are smaller than the photos above and were compressed with the same settings (JPEG 30 quality on a scale of 100). That grid in the background needlessly hogs up data.

egas3.jpg

egas4.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

We are sorry some of you feel this way.

But let me reply in the simplest of terms, or "dumbing down" as was posted above.

The few that use outside photo hosting services and follow rules this will hurt a bit, until they get the hang of how to load the photos here. But this switch was geared to the vast majority or posters that use these services. They will host the photo elsewhere and put them on here. Once they get the info they want or don't want (like being told the item is a fake), they delete the photos and we are left with threads with lots of replies but no photos. The Mods then have to spend a ton of time trying to clean up useless threads because a poster didn't like what was said. I know when I cleaned up the camo section in the uniform threads, I had to go back to the day the forum started and go through each thread until the current day. I bet I had to delete 15-20% of the threads because photos were hosted elsewhere and had been deleted. I am seeing this now in the cloth insignia section on a even larger scale.

It is very simple to load photos directly to the USMF, and once you get the hang of it, you may find it is a lot easier and quicker. Plus the photos become a permanent fixture on here.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Here's a few more examples of the kinds of things we often want to see in fine detail. This is an 80kb image - you could fit three of these in one post:

planchet.jpg

Patches are another area where we like to see high resolution detail. This is the back of a patch and a closeup of the thread: total image size for both is under 80kb:

patchback1.jpg

patchback2.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

One more example: the first image is 120kb - it is 800 pixels high and saved at 40 quality. The second is 600 pixels and 30 quality: it is ony 60k, half as large in file size. Do you see a big difference in detail?

badge.jpg

badge3.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

So is it 250K per post? It still says 150K so since no one got the email how would you know?

and a medium quality JPG still loses quite a bit of quality from a full size image.

I understand about cropping images... that's why I always do.

The stability of the image link should be on the postee IMO. I pay extra to have photobucket pro so my links don't break, and I never delete images from photobucket. Also there are people who have their own website who can host their own high quality photos.

To me, this is "dumbing it down" to the lowest common denominator because some people can't keep their links from going dead.

-Brian

EDIT: now I'm more than a little peeved as EVERY SINGLE THREAD I HAVE EVER MADE now has dead photo links since you have disallowed linking to photobucket. Am I supposed to go back in and resave every single photo I have ever posted and re-add them to the threads?????

Wouldn't it be easier to just disallow new posts from having photobucket links?

Who decided this was a good idea?

FWIW, my hosting site has also been photobucket since I joined the USMF (2009), and I can still see all of the pics I have ever posted.....

donation2011.gifdonation2018.gif

Those photos do look very good. I think uniforms are a little different though, because you can't get those close-up shots. I had a bunch of high-res photos in the hopper to post, so I'm going to play around with them today. We may have to settle for some lower quality photos, but hopefully the good will outweigh the bad.

Always searching for items from 83rd Div (WWII), 3rd Div (Korea), and anything related to the Civil War in Arkansas or Missouri! Will buy or trade!

In memory of Pvt Roland L. Gates, Co G, 2nd Bn, 15th Inf, 3rd Division. KIA 15 June 1953 defending Outpost Harry.

Those photos do look very good. I think uniforms are a little different though, because you can't get those close-up shots.

Actually uniforms are even easier because you don't have to use your camera's macro mode and lighting is a lot easier. And why can't you get closeups of uniform details? Below these photos you can see the sizes in KB - the total is well under our limit for one post:

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

sizes.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

Well... I understand how to resize photos based on quality.

I wish you could understand how many people on this forum are clueless as to editing photos... so I think what we are going to end up seeing are FS threads with minuscule photos because the user doesn't understand how to resize.

And Bob... I get your point, but I can easily see the loss in quality of those photos from even a standard res. photo.

They have a grainy look and it feels like I'm squinting my eyes.

I'm in Graphic Design and look at this stuff all day.

I see the decision has been made behind the scenes and this is just the way it is now.

But who can answer about all my past threads that are now damaged (basically lost) due to this change?

How many other "good" threads are gone?

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

Bob, those do look pretty good. Like you said earlier the background makes a big difference. I've been meaning to set up a little photo booth anyway, this is good incentive.