Inland 5-digit M1 Carbine

kmc1945

I wanted to share with everyone the pride and joy of my weapon collection. I purchased this about 10 years ago and never really realized what I had until very recently. Hell, I used to take this thing to the range and blast away; never one jam or misfire. Very early production. Serial # dates to July/Aug 42 and barrel is marked 9-42 so I'm fairly certain this is the original fitted barrel to the receiver. I would like to get any opinions (good or bad) on this. All of the internals are marked Inland. I have had it fully disassembled before, just not this time. Also, even though I would never sell it I am curious as to its value if anyone can guesstimate a price. Thank so much for looking!

I would say $1200 to $1500. Easy. They retailed from CMP under $500 years ago, any yours is really nice. High wood, I-Cut, Cartouche, flip site, push button. The right buyer may go $2K. Inlands were highly produced but you also have a low serial #. The last I-Cut, High wood I saw at the CMP north store was in 2009. I think the price was $650, and it had a milled rear site and bayonet lug. It wasn't as nice..so doubling the price would be more than far given the current market. My opinion.

I just saw an early Inland (with the I-cut oiler slot and high wood) in somewhat better shape without the sling and oiler sell for $1600 as part of a bigger deal (two carbines and mulitple bayonets). I would put the value of yours with the correct early C-tipped sling and II marked oiler at $1600-$1700 in the Southeast. Values elsewhere could vary.

Nice carbine! Those I-cut stocks are not often seen! It does appear that the handguard has been replaced with a later "shallow groove".

Mike

Thanks everyone so much for the comments! I am no 'expert' in these weapons so I welcome any and all comments. Mike: can you explain what you mean about the hand guard? It is an IO marked 'Hi wood' handguard. What should it be? Thanks!

very early nice carbine!! I have a mid war one and they are great to shoot except the ammo is getting harder to find and more expensive!!!

Just to show how prices will vary - I have an early Inland similar to yours but with a serial number just over the 100K mark and as I do miilitaria shows now and then I try to keep abreast as to what similar items area selling for whether they be helmets, jackets or weapons. One early carbine very similar to yours that was all correct (Type 1 dog leg, smooth long face mag release, etc.) sold on GUNBROKER on 5/14/2013 $2,825.

CG

• 2 weeks later...
mpguy80/08

Mine is a 5 digit in the 11,000 range... all inland, high wood but oval cut stock instead of I cut. I also have an all Inland in the 800K range as well.

Does it have a two tone receiver? IE...one portion parkerized, and one portion blued? I have one just a few hundred serials off, under the wood is blued, while above the woodline is parked.... Chris...

Does it have a two tone receiver? IE...one portion parkerized, and one portion blued? I have one just a few hundred serials off, under the wood is blued, while above the woodline is parked.... Chris...

Chris,

The two-tone receivers are not parkerized and blued. They are blued (black oxide). The matte finish upper portion has been bead blasted which produces a rougher looking finish than the lower portion which is smoother and appears more blue/black. It is the same as the finish on original production WWII Thompson submachinegun receivers that were blasted then finished with black oxide. Many people mistake the matte type non-reflective surface for parkerizing. Very early Inland Carbines were normally black oxide finish on the receiver and barrel.

• 3 months later...