Question about WWII Campaign Medals

S1991

Gents,

I have a question regarding the campaign medals. The WWII Victory Medal, American Campaign Medal and the EAME Medal, are they always fitted with a crimp brooch?

I have never seen one of these with a slot brooch.

Also the box for a American Campaign Medal which I have seen never show a manufacturing date. Only of the maker, usually Heckerton.

Also I can not remember seeing a lapel pin for any of the above medals. Would this also be correct?

Anyone ever seen them date and with a slot brooch?

The Victory Medal sent to my grandparents for my uncle who was USMC KIA is a slot brooch. I will post pictures later.

In general the American Campaign and EAME are fitted with a crimp brooch. I have seen examples of the EAME and Asian Pac Campaigns with a slot brooch, but I have not handled one to tell you with certainty it was not modified. There is some discussion that there are variations that are legit with slot brooch but they are few and far between, and one has to feel it out for themselves.

The Victory Medal may have both depending on manufacturer and date. Majority that I have encountered over the years are slot brooch as mentioned in earlier comments

As for the date, there should be one on most boxes, I have not seen the manufacturer box you refer to.

Here is my uncle's slot brooch Victory Medal and crimp brooch Asia-Pacific. The Victory Medal was sent in 1947 from the Navy Department.

post-5589-0-37029300-1402800592.jpg

I have two USN EAME medals in the boxes with slot brooch mountings, One is pictured somewhere in the medal section. All the EAME medals I have seen that have sloat brooches and boxes are USN type!

MMcollector

I have handled all 3 US NAVY campaign medals by the U.S. Mint with Slot Brooches. I do not believe the army contracts were ever on a slot brooch. Medallic arts made a victory medal with a slot brooch & a crimp brooch, both type came in the same dated box.

Older thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/163337-wwii-united-states-victory-medal-manufacturers-makers-help-needed/?hl=%2Bvictory+%2Bmedal+%2Bmakers

I have only seen one case of a Waterbury boxed example that showed a slot brooch. Though I suppose its possible, with the later manufacture date, I cannot verify the set was not put together.

post-50776-0-24246800-1398101745.jpg