Col. Thomas Coady Vietnam F-105 Pilot

flakbait

Will,

Thanks for posting the photo of the framed Thud Driver transfer - very impressive display all around.

If you're looking for any F-105 prints for the background, let me know ... I have a couple to offer.

Dale

suppose this COULD be a sort of Thud-dedicated room??, do not know why I'm having this impression :o :o - a fantastic thing.

Your parachute BA-18 sports the much more common oval-shaped handle and a simpler spring system for the pull-out lanyard, with only one coiled spring, in respect to the one worn by my Vietnam pilot. The hook attaching to handle for a "zero delay" deploying is different, too - looks like being smaller, and whitish in color instead of anodyzed red.

Maybe modifications made "in the field"?, it's unlikely they are worth of another nomenclature for the whole 'chute assembly.

Interesting indeed - wish to show a comparison with the same specific area in my specimen. Franco.

p.s. are your gloves the B-3A pattern made in grey leather? main maker of this was "Steinberg Bros, Co." or sometimes, "Mario Papa & Sons".

Franco - the BA-18 is date from 1964, The F-1B automatic rip cord puller was used along with the newer FF-1 "lolipop" rip cord puller. I reviewed a lot of F-105 crew photos and saw both types used. Mine was missing the red hook so I used a hook off of an old PCU-21 lowering device set as I have not located the red hook. If you know a source for that part, please advise. Parachute rip cord handle again, standard type, not the "blast handle" that your's has but both were used. Gloves atre the grey B-3A. Nav bag is from an F-105/F-4 pilot and has the kneeboard, flashlight, check lists. Pistol belt has rigger made loops added for 38 ammo though its hard to see in pic. 2nd pattern jungle boots.

Some evident differencies about "secondary" things - number of coiled springs, color of lanyard, color/shape/size of the hook.

attachicon.gifpost-151851-0-01930600-1394199446.jpg

Franco - The SRU-21 vest is the first version wit the snaps, not velcro pocket closures. Never had a holster sewn to it. Its complete with RT-10 radio, first aid kit, water blader, compass etc. Just picked up another first version SRU21 vest with an extra radio pocket on front for a RT-10 type radio, not the longer pocket that came in later for the PRC-90 radio.

Another closeup pic.

Franco - The SRU-21 vest is the first version wit the snaps, not velcro pocket closures. Never had a holster sewn to it. Its complete with RT-10 radio, first aid kit, water blader, compass etc. Just picked up another first version SRU21 vest with an extra radio pocket on front for a RT-10 type radio, not the longer pocket that came in later for the PRC-90 radio.

post-18277-0-20336400-1408054501.jpg

Thanks Flakbait - great details.

Well both of us have the correct SRU-21/P variant with snap-closure for the smaller pockets (mine is 1967), and both have the correct RT-10 radio inside. I earlier had put on a standard waist belt for the sidearm, subsequently I found out a USAF-marked holster (dated 1968) for the S&W revolver alongside with the proper cartridge leather pouch.

wasn't sure about the "blast handle" on my BA-18, think in late '60s it was not used anymore? - at least, never saw any pics of it in all the documentation about the fighter-bomber pilots in Vietnam.

Franco.

• 4 weeks later...

Flakbait,

I really like the display. Can you tell me more about the framed fighter pilot print on the wall? I cN only make out the bottom portion?

Dave

Flakbait,

I really like the display. Can you tell me more about the framed fighter pilot print on the wall? I cN only make out the bottom portion?

Dave

Dave - the print is "The Fighter Pilot" by the late Maxie McCaffrey. It was commissioned by Republic Aviation and presented to the Red River Valley Pilots Association (River Rats) in 1973. The inscription reads: "The Fighter Pilot - Dedicated to the Fighter Pilots who flew in Southeast Asia 1964 - 1973 Their mission was to fly, and fight and they didn't forget it!" The River Rats made smaller prints available and I had my copy autographed by Brig. Gen. Steve Ritchie, USAF's top Vietnam Mig Ace (5X) when he came to the air base I was working at, as a luncheon speaker, back in 1999.

First, I want to apologize for a long-winded post.....

Well, we have hit on something close to home. My Dad and grandfather were both Fighter Pilots. I always sort of collected patches and helmets and stuff. As my Dad got older and I started to really appreciate him and what he has accomlished, I started to restore some of his flight jackets ( I studied textile and metals conservation in college) . A few of the patches were missing, so I entered the world of US patch collectors. I found that the patches I needed were for sale for $300 or more dollars. I remember Dad always getting postpaid envelopes asking for patches from collectors. He would often send some neat patches, not realizing that the guy who sent the request was planning to use his and the other pilot's generosity to get rich. After finding that it would cost us thousands to replace a dozen or so of those patches, I asked Dad to send all the guys he keeps in touch with an email or letter asking that they send extra patches, gear and uniforms to me. I promised that I would not ever profit from their donations, and that extra items would be donated to either museums, or to help the kids of pilots preserve their family history. If GPD129 will contact me, I will be glad to help out. That goes for others who are in the same boat. I am new on this forum, but an old timer on some of the others. feel free to PM me. Once I get some privileges on this site, I will start posting some of my collection. I have some neat items given to me as a kid by guys like Yaeger, Olds, Thorsness, and some other great men.

toad

• 1 month later...

I just saw this thread. I am the one who has his tiger striped flight suit. I also have his flight helmet and mask, gloves, g suit, and carry bag. All are from his first tour.

here are some of the items

post-56764-0-04010700-1413928528.jpg

flight suit. I too have downloaded copies of his awards and decorations, and may one day have all on display in my hometown of Dixon Illinois, where there is already an F-105 on display at the Veterans Memorial Park. His flight helmet will also need some interior repair, and I would appreciate any recommendations of someone to do this.

post-56764-0-05306700-1413928894.jpg

nguoi tien su

One of the best suit I have seen in years!

I looked at the 357th squadron photos, and circa 1968, at least 4 or 5 pilots were wearing tiger stripe suits. Here is one example:

357tfs10.jpg

There was an overlap with both US and local made ERDL suits by the summer of 1968. It looks that the Tiger Stripe suits were not used anymore by the end of the year.

• 4 weeks later...

I am posting pics of the other items I acquired from Col Coady's estate. He origionally was an Air Defense Pilot flying the F-102 with the 82nd FIS in the early 1960s. Flightsuit patches and rank insignia are origional as I received this item. Missing his leather name block.

This suit is actually from the 4782d Combat Crew Training Squadron. Stationed at Perrin AFB, TX, they provided training for pilots learning to fly the F-102. Coady may have gone here for training before returning to the AZ ANG where he flew F-102s in the 162 FIG before going to active duty later.

Randy

• 10 months later...

WoW! Some amazing stuff! I was a bidder on the Cody items back in the day also. I think I had about 20+ patches/nametags/etc. Due to med problems I sold the entire bunch a year ago. I understand it may be sold again sorry to say, don't have a clue when or where but "maybe".

Update on my Col. Coady items. Back in March of this year I was able to purchase the Col Coady tigerstripe flightsuit, flight helmet and related flightgear and patches from Badash5946. Thank you Badash5946 for the opportunity to acquire these items.

• 6 years later...

Sold a lot of those pictured but please I am not a dealer! They were sold from my own collection Chatt show.After doing well with big C am back in a minor way collecting VN USAF again! Boy wish I had Coady again. By the way his estate had about 50 patches plus the flight gear at the time it was sold and they went in all sorts of directions at the time. Large group on internet auction right now!