What kind of EGA do I have here?

Spearhead

The pattern is that of a rare early officer patrol jacket collar emblem. However, every original I've seen has been prong back. A screwback sold at auction a few years back and I don't think it fetched a whole lot. I've only seen 2 or 3 pairs of collars and an additional couple singles, all have been the prong type as discussed here... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/145102-early-patrol-jacket-emblemsmatched-pair/

In the era, screw backs on collars were rarely in use, pin back was the name of the game save for cover emblems. Is yours stamped or cast? The hollow rear of the casting, unpierced anchor, crudeness (even compared to what was relatively crude originals), and stabilizing pin are all different from the known prong back examples. I'd really like to see detailed straight on images front and rear in good light. It's an intriguing piece and I don't want to make a call either way just yet

Here's a few more pics. Sorry I'm not the best with a camera. On the left side there appears to be extra metal on the side of the eagle. I would guess it is stamped metal emblem. It's covered in green corrosion. J.R.

post-103720-0-16208200-1398036425.jpg

post-103720-0-01706000-1398036467.jpg

post-103720-0-86852300-1398036525.jpg

post-103720-0-53386800-1398036531.jpg

I came across these two photos a while back. Not sure who owns this EGA...maybe someone on the forum. I thought the dark unknown EGA resembles the one below. Thougths? J.R.

post-103720-0-93422500-1398036969.jpg

post-103720-0-85699800-1398037054.jpg

Ooo...good catch, forgot all about that one. I plead temporary insanity, the solid color made me brain jump straight to the prong backs

I think you're correct. Same era as the ones I linked to, different variant. Does it appear to have ever had the anchor and continents gold? Or perhaps an emblem that didn't pass the inspector and wasn't finished? Great emblem, been keeping my eye out for a pair myself.

It is very hard to tell if it had gold continents and anchor due to the amount of green stuff on it. I would guess not. It's certainly different from any other EGA I have. J.R.

normaninvasion

Have some questions about the one first posted. Seems like its made of bronze with no dress finish? As Brig said, crude even compared to originals. Note the casting flash on the wing. What stumps me a little is the piece looks old!

usmcaviator

I have an exact match to this one posted. It is an older pattern (1870's-1880's) that I believe was used post turn-of-the-century (1900-1910) prior to service emblems being authorized for officers by the regulations. I personally believe this to be the earliest officer service emblem. I have a photo of Charles Doyen wearing these on a tropical coat circa 1900. The post backs are odd for the era, but I have original service and dress collar devices that are post backed (see the dress one previously posted that I own). Officer hat devices from the 1880's-1900's exist with pin and post back, it seems logical that so too could early collar emblems.

Mike

Always a good day when you stumble on one of these early emblems, even better when it joins your collection

Thanks to all for the good info. I've really learned a lot from this forum....and probably spent too much time browsing the forum (so says my wife).

Thanks much,

J.R.

teufelhunde.ret

Thanks to all for the good info. I've really learned a lot from this forum....and probably spent too much time browsing the forum (so says my wife).

Thanks much,

J.R.

Your seeing / reading the tip of the iceberg, she will get over it, they all do. Remind her, better than bars, etc.