VFW Commendation Medal

mvmhm

Another forum member asked a question about the VFW ribbon, so I thought I'd cross post this for reference. As most people know, we see plenty of VFW ribbons, which aren't actually awards, but represent the Membership Badger. Here's mine...the basic design hasn't changed over the years, and of course now you can wear bars with your position (if you're an officer)..such as Post Commander. Even though I was a Post Commander, I never bothered to get the bar for the badger..in fact, I never wore the actual badger either, just the ribbon. Here's the badger:

Mark sends

post-3423-0-00803100-1397961409.jpg

The VFW does award a Commendation Medal, which is suspended from a neck ribbon and is made of pewter. Here's mine, along with a picture of the standard badge to give you an idea of the relative sizes.

post-3423-0-31382300-1397961485.jpg

post-3423-0-36054500-1397961496.jpg

Here's a detailed view of the obverse and reverse of mine. It's nice to have the recognition, but the size of the medallion makes it too unwieldy to wear.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-85418600-1397961569.jpg

Thanks for the information on the ribbons Mark. Is the neck ribbon sewn together or does it have a clasp? Could we see the pin on the back of the standard badge ribbon to see how it is constructed?

Here's a close-up of the pin assembly on the member badger, and the snap on the neck ribbon. The pin assemblies are pretty flimsy...so are the ones on my Sons of the American Revolution Medals - those I've taken apart and mounted "Navy-style".

Mark sends

post-3423-0-95162700-1398018721.jpg

Those are some great pictures. I've never seen the Commendation medal before.

Thanks for sharing!

Kevin

I'm not sure it's awarded too often at the Post level...when I got mine, there were two others awarded...I "think" they are the only ones in our Post's 79 year history, plus one I awarded when I was the Post Commander. Just wish it was something a little less gaudy....I never wear mine because it's cartoonishly large. The neck ribbon is eye-catching though!

Mark sends