Unidentified Patch: TRIM Indochina

WAHOOMAN

Hello All. I believe I found out who wore/used the TRIM patches. I obtained additional documents from the estate sale. Among the documents was a set of TDY orders for PFC Ralph Reetz dated 2 February 1956. PFC Reetz was assigned to Hq & Hq Co, 39th Infantry Regiment, Furth, Germany. The order reads for the purpose of performing duties as the Colonel's Driver. A portion of the order reads BY ORDER OF COLONEL ROSSON. A Google search of Rosson resulted in identifying General William B. Rosson. General Rosson was a highly decorated veteran. Some of General Rosson's assignments included the following: U.S. Military Advisory Group Indo-China, 1954 and Commander, 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division, Germany, June 1955-June 1956. I am making the analytical leap that Colonel Rosson gave the patches to PFC Reetz. Just an educated guess. Any Thoughts.

Interesting. And very logical. I don't believe anyone with the rank of PFC would have been sent TDY on that mission, so I am thinking your assumption would be correct. Normally for a small liaison mission like that, the host country would have provided a driver to the advisory team.

The Colonel served in Indo-China first and subsequent assignment to Germany. PFC Reeetz was assigned as Colonel Rosson's driver during the Colonel's assignment in Germany. PFC Reetz and Colonel Rosson served at the same time in Germany and in the same Division. I believe this is where the exchange of patches took place. The orders are very specific. I will post the orders soon.

That's kind of interesting in its own way.

By the time I got to Germany in 1980, we dispatched drivers right and left all over the country without formal orders. I suppose US Forces in Germany in 1956 were under much tighter orders.

Hello All. I believe I found out who wore/used the TRIM patches. I obtained additional documents from the estate sale. Among the documents was a set of TDY orders for PFC Ralph Reetz dated 2 February 1956. PFC Reetz was assigned to Hq & Hq Co, 39th Infantry Regiment, Furth, Germany. The order reads for the purpose of performing duties as the Colonel's Driver. A portion of the order reads BY ORDER OF COLONEL ROSSON. A Google search of Rosson resulted in identifying General William B. Rosson. General Rosson was a highly decorated veteran. Some of General Rosson's assignments included the following: U.S. Military Advisory Group Indo-China, 1954 and Commander, 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division, Germany, June 1955-June 1956. I am making the analytical leap that Colonel Rosson gave the patches to PFC Reetz. Just an educated guess. Any Thoughts.

Great detective work and good analysis.