Unidentified Patch: TRIM Indochina

WAHOOMAN

TRIM

From http://www.vietnamgear.com/dictionary/trim.aspx

"The Training Relations and Instruction Mission (TRIM) was a Franco-American command created in February 1955 to train and organize the Vietnamese Armed Forces. When the French High Command in Indochina was dissolved in April 1956, TRIM personnel were reassigned to MAAG’s Combat Arms Training and Organization Division.

MAAG / TRIM focused on building the ARVN into a conventional army capable of dealing with an invasion from North Vietnam, rather than training it to counter the insurgent threat of the Viet Cong."

This would would go along with the MAAG Advisor tab you posted in another thread.

You hit the jackpot with this one... it is rare and desirable among Vietnam era collectors as the TRIM mission was a rather small contingent. The patches were locally made in this chain stitch manner.

If you can pull any more items from that estate sale, such as paper work, photos, etc. I suggest you do it. You have the start of a very nice grouping.

Also, if you part with these patches, I suggest you keep them together.

Thanks gwb123. I will return tomorrow. There was something about that patch, so I bought it. I scored three of them.

Thanks gwb123. I will return tomorrow. There was something about that patch, so I bought it. I scored three of them.

YOU SCORED THREE OF THEM? Wow!

Tonight is your night to buy a lottery ticket.

These usually turn up one at a time. So again, good score.

firefighter

Just to find one of these VERY RARE patches is scarce but three? Don't go out durn a lightning storm.Very simple patch but extremely rare.Cant wait to see what else you got.

firefighter

I would set up a tent.

Patchcollector

Seeing three TRIM's from one place is awesome.Even though they are rare as hens teeth,they can be found this way!

vintageproductions

The MAAG Indo-China would have been worn at the same time as the TRIM patch.

I consider the TRIM patch to be one of the Holy Grail patches from Vietnam, as it was the first patch ever worn by US Advisors in Vietnam.

Can someone post a photo of one wearing the TRIM patch during the period of when it would have been authorized? Thanks.

If you can pull any more items from that estate sale, such as paper work, photos, etc. I suggest you do it. You have the start of a very nice grouping.

Yes. Particularly period pix. of TRIM SSI being worn in Vietnam. Here is the only published pix. of it being worn by a U.S. officer, Gen. "Iron Mike" O'Daniel, Chief of Misson, ca. 1955.

post-1963-0-42562700-1397963581.jpg

Source: CMH Pub 91-1, Advice and support : the early years, 1941-1960.

Went back to the estate sale and found these 39th INF RGT Unit Insignias. D'une Vallance Admirable (With A Military Courage Worthy of Admiration) . These belonged to PFC Ralph S. Reetz (SN: 55489276). I believe he later became a officer. Still researching to see if I can find the link between the TRIM patches and Reetz.

post-96084-0-64858300-1398016779.jpg

The 39th IR was assigned to the 9th ID - the two patches on the bottom left that are red, white and blue. The design is a double quatrefoil.