Barracks Cleaning Rod Help Please.

hirsca

Today I picked up three items from an estate sale, one of which I am having some difficulty in identifying. The two easy ones were a 1916 football handle barracks one piece cleaning rod and a second version nickel plated buttstock cleaning kit with all pieces intact. The mystery piece is a rounded handle one piece cleaning rod with a removable slotted tip. It is short. The exposed length of the rod, from below the handle to the union of the separate slotted tip is only 22.75" and the slotted tip extends it an additional 2.5" once fully screwed into the rod. The only other rounded handle one piece rods that I could find were much longer. Anyone out there have info on what this rod might have been designed for? Thanks in advance, Al.

post-12790-0-18305800-1397866265.jpg

post-12790-0-38100000-1397866286.jpg

Thanks guys. I don't have a BMG to measure with, but I do have a carbine. Seems way too long for the carbine, so I tried it with an '03 Springfield. Don't think it's for this rifle either. With the handle (gently) placed against the muzzle, the slotted tip barely makes it out of the chamber, not far enough to remove a patch. So, the mystery continues. I no longer have a two piece carbine cleaning rod, so can someone put one together with the slotted tip and give me a length measurement to compare with my mystery piece? Many thanks in advance, Al.

M1917/M1919 BMG?

Blair217---I think that you might be correct. I found a site that described this as is. Thanks for the guidance. Al.

I thought that might be what it was for,I don't believe there was ever a barracks rod for the M1 Carbine and it's too short for rifles.