Bring back Swastika brooch

qochoc

Can anyone shed any light on this. It was a bring back from WWII and given to a 12 year old boy. Its marked sterling and is 1 1/2 X 1 1/2

100_1933_zps03fd380c.jpg

100_1936_zpsb292a0f3.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Jim

If it's marked in English Sterling, I doubt it was a German bring back and not just American jewelry, as pre-war the swastika was in common usage. The Germans, I believe, tended to marked their silver with the decimal (.925, etc) system

Yes the Swazi was widely used as a good luck symbol and very popular in Victorian times through the 1910s-20s ( and obviously fell out of favor when the bad guys got a hold of it) Still a neat piece, in sterling, that carries a mystique of association with it.

There were "new age" religious groups and cults around the turn of the century in Europe that used the swastika as a symbol. For as large as this appears to be, it may have been used by one of them.

ludwigh1980

Common adornment out here in the West. Found on spurs, chaps, saddles, gloves, cowboy hats, Navaho blankets, etc, etc. There was a Swastika Hotel in Raton N.W. and there was a Swastika Coal Company. In my home town of Grand Junction, there used to be a large stone at a major crossroads intersection. Had a huge Swastika carved in relief among other good luck and religious symbols. Sat there into the 1960's until some-one raised a fuss. No one even thought anything about it. It was a very typical symbol in the South West.

The 45th US Infantry Division also used the swastika as their unit patch as it was the Native American symbol of the Thunderbird, as they were formed out west. Then again once ol' adolf got a hold of it, they changed it to the more literal representation of the Thunderbird we see today.