Friday's Firearm Foto Quiz

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

OK, guys. Today we're going to see if anyone can correctly identify the weapon in the photo below. The photo is from about 1955 or so and is a Signal Corps pic. Another nugget: That appears to be a General Officer standing behind it in the middle. So, what is it?

Regards,

Charlie

Quiz Pic.jpg

Rakkasan187

Is this the PTRD anti tank rifle??

Leigh

I believe this was a Russian Anti Tank rifle used in WW2 and then communist forces had them in Korea

Leigh

Charlie Flick

Bingo! You guys are good. The photo caption does not provide any details on the weapon but I do believe that it is a PTRD that has had an M2 BMG barrel retrofitted to it to allow US .50 cal. ammunition to be fired in it. A pretty slick set up. And that GO looks pretty happy to be there too.

Regards,

Charlie

With the addition of the scope, I would guess that this was being used as a sniper rifle, and as Charlie said, retrofitted to allow .50 cal ammo to be fired in it. .50 Caliber ammo has a very flat trajectory and is thus an excellent long distance round. Marine sniping legend Carlos Hathcock used the .50 caliber to great effect and the Barrett sniper rifle today uses the same ammo to build its reputation as a premier firearm.

Allan

Charlie Flick

Blair:

Good catch on the ID of the bipod as being from a M1919A6 BMG. I had not noticed that detail.

Charlie

Bingo! You guys are good. The photo caption does not provide any details on the weapon but I do believe that it is a PTRD that has had an M2 BMG barrel retrofitted to it to allow US .50 cal. ammunition to be fired in it. A pretty slick set up. And that GO looks pretty happy to be there too.

AKA: Brophy's Buffalo Gun. There was an article about it in 17th Infantry's newspaper, "Buffalo Bugle" of October 2, 1952.

post-1963-0-62356100-1397855560.jpg

Wailuna, is that CPT mentioned in your letter the same William S. Brophy who wrote "The Springfield 1903 Rifles" as a LTC(Ret)?

There used to be a VERY similar weapon on display in the 3ID Museum at Ft. Stewart. Hopefully it'll be displayed once they move into the new building.

Steve

the scope almost looks like an m73b1... what ever it is the thing is very cool

I think it might be an M81 or M82 telescope as it looks to have a sunshade. I wish the picture was taken slightly closer. I almost think it looks like the top half of a G&H M1C Garand scope setup on that rifle

Charlie Flick

Wailuna:

I find it rather amazing that you were able to locate and post that 1952 article about Capt. Brophy's sniper rifle experiment. It surely must be the same one as seen in the photo, which makes me wonder if the 1955 date on the caption is incorrect and should read 1952. Great stuff.

Thanks for sharing the story of this interesting sniper rifle development with us. It brings a lot of context to the photo.

Regards,

Charlie

I find it rather amazing that you were able to locate and post that 1952 article about Capt. Brophy's sniper rifle experiment. It surely must be the same one as seen in the photo, which makes me wonder if the 1955 date on the caption is incorrect and should read 1952. Great stuff.

Why thanks, Charle. Finding obscure military pictures and documents is my favorite sporting event and the Forum is a good arena for staying in shape. Here is more re. the Brophy pix.

Based on the "Buffalo Bugle" article alone, the caption that you found associated with your pix. near certainly is incorrect as to a 1955 dating.

Moreover, the article quotes Capt. Brophy as trying the rifle at 2nd ID. As the Brig. Gen. in this pix. appears to be wearing 2nd ID SSI and 2nd ID insignia on his helmet, perhaps this pix. was taken during the 2nd ID demo (in any case, 2nd ID left Korea in mid-1954 and was stationed at Ft. Lewis in 1955).

m1ashooter (post #13) most likely has correctly identified the mustached officer in the pix. as Capt. Brophy. Here is another sighting of him, complete with mustache and rifle :

post-1963-0-49178900-1397938184.jpg

Source: The Buffalo Bugle - Special Korean War Edition (p. 36).

1SG_1st_Cav

I remember years ago seeing a film clip of Brophy shooting a .50 Cal sniper Rifle in Korea. But it was mounted on a .50 cal tripod.

Danny

Charlie Flick

I love the quiz, can't wait for the next one!

RC

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, RC. We'll do another one next Friday, and more if the Quiz is found to be of interest to our members. I don't think I am going to be stumping these guys, however, as when it comes to US weapons we have a very knowledgeable bunch here.

Regards,

Charlie

• 3 months later...
Buffalo Grunt

I'm glad that people are actually looking at some of the Buffalo Bugles that I painstakingly scanned and digitalized for the 17th Infantry Regiment Association ... a daily look at the life of a grunt during the Korean War ... I'm still missing a few, but I'm sure that they'll surface sooner or later ... A lot of good history in them, so thanks to Charlie for sharing.

AKA: Brophy's Buffalo Gun. There was an article about it in 17th Infantry's newspaper, "Buffalo Bugle" of October 2, 1952.

attachicon.gifBuffalo Bugle Oct 2 1952.jpg