The 115th Infantry Regiment aka the 1st Maryland Infantry

Allan H.

The infantry regiments of the 29th Infantry Division are rather well known since they were the Vanguard of the Crusade by hitting Omaha beach on D-Day, June 6, 1944. While the 116th Infantry bore the honor of the initial assault, their sister regiment, the 115th reinforced them in subsequent waves also landing on D-Day and earning an invasion arrowhead for the European, African and Middle East Campaign ribbon. Both of the regiments earned the French Croix de Guerre with the inscription "Beaches of Normandy."

Here is an image of the standard WWII DI of the 115th Infantry Regiment.

post-151-0-07965700-1397703749.jpg

The title of this thread also mentioned the 1st Maryland Infantry, which when federalized for service in World War I, was re-designated as the 115th Infantry Regiment. Even after the war to end all wars, the Maryland National Guard unit was known by both numeric identifiers.

Shown here is the first DI of the 1st Maryland Infantry. The overall design of the crest is similar to the later example, but the design of the shield differs greatly from the standardized DI that is still worn today. Note that the sides of the shield are parallel and that there is no scallop at the top of this example.

The example shown here was locally procured from the AH Dondero Company of Washington, DC.

Allan

post-151-0-26559100-1397704131.jpg

post-151-0-50273400-1397704152.jpg

everforward

My initial thoughts are yes, they would have been worn, especially the old timers that had been the Guard for a while at that period....I'll check some pics.

Johan,

I would say that the only way the first version would have been worn is if the soldier had come from the Maryland guard and had been in the unit early enough to have been issued this pattern. I've seen hundreds of WWII era 115th Infantry DI's, but have only seen a couple pair of the first pattern DI's for sale in many years of collecting.

Allan

• 8 years later...
16 minutes ago, patches said:

I do believe this Pre War Officer of the Regiment is wearing the Rounded Scalloped version of the 115th Infantry.

See Post #52

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/312982-post-the-late-pre-war-early-war-officer-garrision-caps-with-unit-crest/page/3/#comment-2952043

It certainly appears so. I would like to see a pic of the 1st pattern being worn.