"Bump them Off"...Malmedy... Dec 17 1944

tarbridge

Some of us Older collectors were lucky enough to be have been able to conduct business with Al Gleim and Herman Wisensee.They were early in the field of medal research...they had a true interest and were always willing to talk medals.

Herman and I became good friends...all the phone calls...shows...Chinese buffets and Purple Hearts.He was the go to guy for Purple Heart research and there was one he never found... he would most times end our calls with "keep a eye out for that one for me"...This one is for you Herman...

This is the story of Tec5 Carl H Blouch...a Co B soldier who met up with the Kampfgruppe Peiper of the 1st SS Panzer Division, battle hardened veterans of the Eastern Front. The numbers differ by a few...but maybe 120 total with around 40 making their escape on that second day of the "Battle of the Bulge".The Germans set the tone for the remainder of the War with the directive sent to the battle front..."Bump them Off".

Tec5 Blouch was shot through both knees and was left on that horrific field to die of blood loss...the first twelve minutes of the barrage of fire killed and injured many...it was followed by several hours of "Mercy killings"...kicking...beating and the coup de grace.

Tec5 Blouch was found when Graves Registration went in to the crossroads at Baugnez near Malmedy Belgium. Forever,he will be associated with the Tag # 29.RIP Tec5 Blouch

2008-12-31 malmedy 031.JPG

2008-12-31 malmedy 032.JPG

2008-12-31 malmedy 034.JPG

Some links about the Malmedy Massacre...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.historylearningsite.co.uk%2Fmalmedy_massacre.htm&ei=j-ZNU7LSGoSayATk14DABw&usg=AFQjCNFTxEc8qvG78RA5_OdzRzt5ieuVOg&bvm=bv.64764171,d.aWw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.historyplace.com%2Fworldwar2%2Ftimeline%2Fmalmedy.htm&ei=j-ZNU7LSGoSayATk14DABw&usg=AFQjCNGY7bRg9a6-pnhrP8Ov3v5QL8FySw&bvm=bv.64764171,d.aWw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.historynet.com%2Fmassacre-at-malmedy-during-the-battle-of-the-bulge.htm&ei=j-ZNU7LSGoSayATk14DABw&usg=AFQjCNFNqWl5IkxRWadLzpfo1cXToCPUlA&bvm=bv.64764171,d.aWw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewishvirtuallibrary.org%2Fjsource%2Fww2%2Fmalmedy2.html&ei=j-ZNU7LSGoSayATk14DABw&usg=AFQjCNFQmmB_0nZ3U9x_4utIds1DCyuH0g&bvm=bv.64764171,d.aWw

Very Amazing PH! I personally knew a veteran That survived the massacre! He did not speak much about the war, but did speak very little to his family ( Our family friends) about it. He died 18 August 2008, one day before my birthday.

Robert,

Another outstanding Purple Heart for your collection. Yes, Herman and Col. Gleim...te good old days of collecting! Thanks for posting!

Mike

A great tribute Robert. That Malmedy incident defined the horror and brutality of war for me as a young person. I was fortunate to know Al and Herman back in the day. Herman would be thrilled that you are the protector of Tec5 Blouch's memory and medal. Bob

BTW - All of the posted links are excellent reading for anyone interested in the history/story of the 'Malmedy Massacre'

The thing I like the most about collecting US medals and this forum is the way they both keep people from being forgotten. I have always believed that as long as people are remembered they are never really gone. Thank you.

Dick

Robert,

You continue to out do yourself with each posting. This is, IMO, one of the most historical PHs you have posted....and as we all know you have posted some hum dingers. As has been stated here - a small way to keep the memory of this atrocity and this soldiers service unforgotten.

Gary B

Like the above have said, what a piece of history to such a well documented incident. There can't be many of these in collector hands. Thanks for sharing and for remembering him.

JD

Robert,

In my research stuff I have copies of a GRS map showing the location of all the remains recovered from the massacre. Blouch was found right in the middle of the largest cluster or group of those who were killed. I would have to surmise that he was probably among the first to go down when the shooting started, compared to some who were found on the fringes or edges of the site, probably indicating they were able to at least make some attempt to get away and flee.

He was killed along the road to St. Vith, if you have a map to look at, the area they were killed at was a crossroads.

Interestingly, the majority of the men killed that day seem to have been from Pennsylvania, Blouch included. I don't think their unit had a National Guard origin, I wonder if a load of draftees from Pennsylvania were sent to their basic training site en masse, then all sent to the same advanced training school, then kept together and assigned to their unit together too. Might be that there was a shortage of that MOS so they pipelined them all to the same path and unit to fill out a unit that was badly needed? I don't recall ever reading anything about that state of origin thing with those lost at Malmedy.

John Conway

Excellent reflection on Al and Herman! Thank you Bob!

Those two guys did so much to put faces and stories with medals and help us all to grasp there was something more then an inanimate object to be considered when endeavoring in this field. I'd like to think Hermann is beaming and applauding this post in his memory. Those good guys slip away too fast. Now don't you be one of them Bob!

Robert,

Thanks so much for posting! I was unaware of the Malmedy Massacre...thank you Sir for the history lesson and keeping the memory of this "True American Hero" alive.

Robert,
You never cease to amaze us with pieces in your collection. Your preservation of the memory of the brave men of whom you are the caretaker of their mementos is admirable. Thanks for sharing.

I thought that it might not be a bad idea to add a photograph with the numbers of the deceased referenced. While I did not find one with Blouch's #29, I felt that this one wasn't too gruesome to add. The photo was found at the following URL- http://www.ww2incolor.com/dramatic/aMalmedy.html which is the "WWII in Color" site. It isn't such a bad idea to occasionally remind ourselves of the significance of some of these pieces of cloth and bits of medal which represent the sacrifices of young men and women, whose lives were cut short to protect our freedoms.

Rest in peace T-5 Blouch.

Allan

post-151-0-26371900-1397700892.jpg

Robert,

In my research stuff I have copies of a GRS map showing the location of all the remains recovered from the massacre. Blouch was found right in the middle of the largest cluster or group of those who were killed. I would have to surmise that he was probably among the first to go down when the shooting started, compared to some who were found on the fringes or edges of the site, probably indicating they were able to at least make some attempt to get away and flee.

He was killed along the road to St. Vith, if you have a map to look at, the area they were killed at was a crossroads.

Interestingly, the majority of the men killed that day seem to have been from Pennsylvania, Blouch included. I don't think their unit had a National Guard origin, I wonder if a load of draftees from Pennsylvania were sent to their basic training site en masse, then all sent to the same advanced training school, then kept together and assigned to their unit together too. Might be that there was a shortage of that MOS so they pipelined them all to the same path and unit to fill out a unit that was badly needed? I don't recall ever reading anything about that state of origin thing with those lost at Malmedy.

Thanks Mike,

I have read a couple of books on Malmedy and knew the spot he was found was one of the largest clusters of victims. Thanks for the added information.

Robert,

You never cease to amaze us with pieces in your collection. Your preservation of the memory of the brave men of whom you are the caretaker of their mementos is admirable. Thanks for sharing.

I thought that it might not be a bad idea to add a photograph with the numbers of the deceased referenced. While I did not find one with Blouch's #29, I felt that this one wasn't too gruesome to add. The photo was found at the following URL- http://www.ww2incolor.com/dramatic/aMalmedy.html which is the "WWII in Color" site. It isn't such a bad idea to occasionally remind ourselves of the significance of some of these pieces of cloth and bits of medal which represent the sacrifices of young men and women, whose lives were cut short to protect our freedoms.

Rest in peace T-5 Blouch.

Allan

Thanks Allan.I Appreciate the addition of the photo.

History Man

Very nice Purple Heart, a tragic event....thank you for posting.

I had the honor of talking with a Malmedy Massacre survivor Ted Paluch back in February at the Show of Shows.

Philip

Rakkasan187

Robert,

I may have a photo of Blouch's name on the plaque at the Malmedy massacre Memorial site, which was erected across the street from the actual massacre site. I will check my pictures when I get home..There was a brass plaque with the engraved name of each of the massacre victims..

Leigh

Robert,

I may have a photo of Blouch's name on the plaque at the Malmedy massacre Memorial site, which was erected across the street from the actual massacre site. I will check my pictures when I get home..There was a brass plaque with the engraved name of each of the massacre victims..

Leigh

Thanks Leigh,

I have seen the images of the monument and Blouch's name.

Robert

• 4 years later...