38th Infantry Regiment badges

doyler

Found this small set of insignia.Havent confirmed if its all related as far as the medals and wings.THere were three of the 2nd Bn 38 Inf badges.One is named to N*K L*AR*SO*N.THese are Korean war era as far as I know.Havent seen many so not real familiar with them.

post-342-0-77418000-1397449582.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Hey Ron -- nice pick ups, I can't believe you got three at once! I am not too familiar with these badges, but I do know that they are sort of like the Order of the Bayonet badge from the 7th Division. Somewhat of a substitute for the CIB awarded by the regiment. I have seen just a handful of these, I remember seeing 2nd Btn before. I may have seen 1st Btn, but I'm not sure.

The 38th Inf was nicknamed the 'Spearheaders.'

Here's a blurb from the Korean War Project that gives a bit of info:

"my dad took old baldy and was awarded a medal that

has a spear through a skull.i am trying to replace
this medal before its too late.any info would be a
huge blessing.
ralph brignac

Keywords: Merlin E. Brignac 2BN 38INF spearheadres 1950-1953"

Rob

Rob

Thanks for posting the info.You are correct they are a combat badge.I have seen the 7th badges both in cloth and metal.Even several repros.

A very knowledgeable and extremely helpful forum member has already confirmed his identity and service with the 2nd Division. And his rank as well as him being interned at the National Cemetery at Ft.Snelling.Also hiss enlistment at Ft.Snelling in 1942.Appears he was originally from Wisconsin.

When I saw these for sale I knew I wasn't going to leave with out them.

• 1 year later...
Captainofthe7th

Ron I just wanted to follow up as I am going through an IDPF for a G Co 38th Inf soldier who was KIA in Jan 1952 - listed in his personal effects is"2nd Bn. SPEARMEADER Badge". I assume this is supposed to read 'spearheaded.' I thought it was very interesting since he had this either on his person or with the rest of his effects before his death on January 13. So that dates the badge to at least 1951.

Rob

Thanks Rob

Intresting information.There are photos of them h eong worn like a CIB.

Also there was an emblem painted on the side of the helmet.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Bull Moose

My dad was a Spearheader, he was a sergeant in Company F, 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. He was a WW2 Vet (94th Infantry Division) and was in the Army Reserves when he was recalled to active duty at the beginning of the Korean War. He was in Korea from December 1950 through September 1951.

While in Korea he received two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star Medal.

Attached are a couple photos with with the Spearheader logo and a photo of his Spearheader badge.

IMG_4095.jpeg

IMG_7039.jpeg

IMG_1358.png

28DF0667-884E-44E3-994F-E37CF9B387DE.jpeg

postmanusnac
19 minutes ago, Bull Moose said:

My dad was a Spearheader, he was a sergeant in Company F, 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. He was a WW2 Vet (94th Infantry Division) and was in the Army Reserves when he was recalled to active duty at the beginning of the Korean War. He was in Korea from December 1950 through September 1951.

While in Korea he received two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star Medal.

Attached are a couple photos with with the Spearheader logo and a photo of his Spearheader badge.

IMG_4095.jpeg

IMG_7039.jpeg

IMG_1358.png

28DF0667-884E-44E3-994F-E37CF9B387DE.jpeg

What regiment was your dad in under the 94th?

Bull Moose
20 hours ago, postmanusnac said:

What regiment was your dad in under the 94th?

376th ~ Company I from January 1945 through the end of the war in Europe. 

postmanusnac
11 minutes ago, Bull Moose said:

376th ~ Company I from January 1945 through the end of the war in Europe. 

Awesome!  My uncle was in the 390th FA.

Have you read the book ugly duckling?  It’s a great account of the 3rd Battalion by Ben Thurston.

Bull Moose

Haven’t read Ugly Duckling, I will look for it. 

I have read “Visions From a Foxhole” by William Foley which I enjoyed. He was in the 301st or 302nd regiment.  There is another book by a guy in the 376th, that was good, but can’t remember the title.

• 1 year later...