"China Horse Marine" Receiving the "All Arms Trophy" 1935

Here is a photograph of the Marine Mounted Detachment at the American Legation, Peiping, China receiving the "All Arms Trophy" for being the best looking outfit in 1935.

Dick

post-9487-0-25538300-1397405133.jpg

post-9487-0-69287600-1397405139.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
normaninvasion

Dick, I'm sure you know this but thought I'd add that I found this pic included in the 1936 Peking Annual. Jeff

Jeff do you have a picture of the 1936 annual cover? Or is it the 1935 annual that was offered in early 1936. I have been unable to confirm any annual after the 1935 was issued. Yet several China Marines thought there was a 36, 37 and 38 annual. As you noted the picture is found in the 1935 Annual but was probably copied for the photo album. After gathering enough albums, newspapers and Peiping guard and Shanghai Marine publications I am seeing a number of photos in these albums are repeats from these weekly/monthly publications....which is both helpful in Id'ing the event and frustrating because it shows that many of the best photos in these albums were not taken by the owner but the Post Photographer.

Jeff if you had the 1936 annual I would forever be in you debt to see it! Personally I am not sure there was one......I think HQ USMC probably stopped these because neither them nor Shanghai produced one for the next few years. After that a private firm in Shanghai did some for all US forces and Tientsin made one 39-40

Dirk and Jeff,

I was also was not aware that there was a 1936 annual, I thought that 1935 was the last. I have the 1934 and 1935 annuals that belonged to and are part of the John Angstadt group that I have. I also have the March 1940 Tientsin magazine which is made as a 234 page annual with fold out maps. I also have a bound year of the American Embassy Guard News from June 1935 to May 1936. There are quite a few photographs in Angstadts Photo album that were published in both the annual and magazine. Many of the hundreds of photographs in the Angstadt's photo album, many of which are 2" X 3", are so sharp that they can be enlarged to 8" X 10" and still look great. Because of the quality of the photographs I also think the pictures were taken by a professional photographer for the annual and magazine then sold to the individual Marines for their albums. A perfect example is the "All Arms Trophy" photo. It is 2" X 3" and scanning it at 1200dpi the trophy itself still looks very good.

Dick