Manila War Crimes Trials (Japanese) Patch Variations

36-tex

I was able to take pictures of these variations at the Hastings Show back in March. I am not commenting on their authenticity, but simple showing these variations.

post-98-0-02492600-1397358173.jpg

post-98-0-64974600-1397358186.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here's another very crudely constructed variation. Posted for reference purposes.

It is embroidered on a very stiff board and the patch itself is quite rigid. The material around the edges on the back is loose. There is red color bleed on both sides. And finally, under a UV light parts of the white thread in the stars emit a glow especially from the back.

I purchased the patch from an online auction through a national auction house. I purchased it under the assumption that it was NOT an authentic Manila Trials patch. And I still subscribe to that belief.

post-124172-0-02103000-1445485139.jpgpost-124172-0-04078800-1445485138.jpg

Patchcollector

PC, Sweet looking patch. Is that also PI made?

Hi FF,

Thanks for your interest.Yes it was made in the P.I,and is part of a group that is named to Robert Fehrenback who was an MP with the 795th MP Battalion.

Some years ago I had an identical patch to Patchcollector's. It was still attached to a section of OD shirt sleeve...rather than unpick the patch someone just cut the shirt fabric around it! Alas I no longer have any pics as they were on a previous laptop which crashed, so I lost them! I also no longer have the patch either as a fellow collector made me an offer I couldn't refuse! I was led to believe it was of Filipino manufacture.

vintageproductions

Does the style of the patch I posted suggest a timeframe and origin?

I think the one you have posted is a fake made in the Mid-West and sold by one dealer, when people thought this patch was a Japanese War Crimes patch.

I think the one you have posted is a fake made in the Mid-West and sold by one dealer, when people thought this patch was a Japanese War Crimes patch.

Thanks Bob, very interesting. I never would have guessed it was made in the states.

Patchcollector

Cool stuff!!

Yes, I found some info online showing that some of the 795th MP's were used to guard the Japanese war criminals and some were also used as translators.

I'm not sure what Robert did but he wore the patch so he must have participated in the Japanese war crimes trials there.

post-13386-0-72357500-1445568969.png

post-13386-0-89555100-1445569007.png

There were several US Army MP battalions stationed in the PI during the trials, and sent personnel on various missions involving the trials.